It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 0.8.4 Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 pm 

GNS3 0.8.4 is on its way, in order to make it ready for a release I want to ask you to help us test it.

[Dependencies]

For Unix-like OSs:
Quote:
- xdotool
- VirtualBox (>=4.1.X)
- Qemu (>=1.1.X)
- Dynamips (>=0.2.8 RC3)
- PyQt4
- Python Imaging Library: PIL
- ReportLab
- GraphViz
- libpcap/wireshark/tcpdump

Only Dynamips and PyQt4 are strictly required though.

For Windows:
Quote:
- VirtualBox (>=4.1.X)
- GraphViz (only for 32bit OS)

[Installation]

For Unix like OSs:
Quote:
- Download and extract: http://code.gns3.net/gns3-devel/archive ... b0.tar.bz2
Code:
tar -xjf gns3-devel-d54b6d4d71b0.tar.bz2

- Install it
Code:
cd gns3-devel-d54b6d4d71b0/ &&  python setup.py install

We provide a man page in the tarball, maintainers will want to install it as it's not installed by the setup script.

For Windows:
Quote:

[Notes]

Before reporting a bug, make sure it's reproducible, clear your configuration and try again. There will be bugs, we are always fixing stuff and this release introduces a lot of changes, if it's quick to fix, we will correct it right away and release again an updated alpha, if it's serious, we'll add it on our TODO list and fix it for the release.
In the next release I will include qemu-system-sparc for Windows, and our old Dynamips RC3 for compatibility. I also removed Wireshark, it's huge and it doesn't need any testing.

We use mercurial for revision control, if you want to submit a patch we'll be more than pleased, the repo is here: https://code.gns3.net/gns3-devel/.

If you want to help but do not know what to test here are some ideas:
- Projects: save, save as, open, play with the options
- New deployment wizard in File> section, it's being actively developed and is not yet completely ready, but if you can set it up and give us feedback we'll make it better. Do not bother with the Preferences for it.
- Qemu 1.1.0 on windows, test it
- Qemu monitor mode, type qmonitor help in the console and play with it
- The new GUI layout, themes, etc
- New Qemu option when creating images, by default you will have an extra interface in user mode, meaning you can get Internet access through your host from your Qemu guests. Beware that it's a pure userland implementation and as such will be limited to basically outgoing TCP connections, for reliability and simplicity it might be good to set up a VPN server and connect your Qemu to it. You may join topologies this way using Qemu as a gateway. You can unbase your images and distribute a configured VPN gateway to use in interconnection workbenches, I advise using OpenBSD as it has a lot of useful daemons (ospfd, bgpd, etc) ready to be used.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: GNS3 0.8.4 Alpha
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm 

will be qemu-system-sparc available also for Linux/Mac? qemu-sparc allows only one NIC per Qemu instance...Do you know about this limitation?

Tested on Qemu 1.1.1.

post14935.html?hilit=sparc#p14935

All my tutorials can be found here:
http://brezular.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:06 pm 

I'm in. I'm not a programmer rather a hack but I can test the features on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, qemu 1.1.1 (or whatever qemu.org just released), Virtualbox 4.1X. I'm interested in using GNS3 to help with an IPv6 deployment (use gns3 for testing proof of concepts). When is dynamips community code going to have a linux Ipv6 version?

System:
8 gig ram, HP Proliant dl 380 G5, tons of Disk space

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:58 pm 

stextor: http://code.gns3.net/dynamips-community ... dd0e93eefc This should be portable enough, if you have RC4 I guess you could bind to IPv6 addresses with Dynamips. Thanks for ur help :).

Jeremy takes care of Dynamips, I didn't really take time to hack it. He might drop a comment later.

brezular: I will tell you soon, I will test it under UNIX-like. We ship qemu for windows as a convenience because windows users don't have a packaging system, we won't do that for other OS, you will have to get qemu and install it from somewhere, depending on your distribution. It builds nicely on any UNIX-like system, I have just built all the targets in ~30 min I think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:02 pm 

Sorry guys I can't help with the testing right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:20 pm 

I'm back, if you notice any problem, please report it here. We should be able to ship it before October :).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:58 am 

post16321.html#p16321, any suggestion would be appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:59 am 

What new features does the new version bring to the table? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 pm 

@denzo, this is 0.8.4 ALPHA, your issue is with the 0.8.3.
Please try again with the 0.8.4.

@Khaled, you can check out all the details on code.gns3.net, I will compile an exhaustive list for the release. It's mostly stuff we fixed on the fly and several features, what comes to my mind is:

- Qemu/Qemuwrapper improvements: monitor mode, new syntax by default, updated qemu on windows, suspend/resume in GUI works, usermod option to create an interface in Qemu user mode, etc.
- GUI: new layout, simplification of projets/topology. You can't drag a non configured node. Etc.
- Deployment wizard/export PDF, a new feature we're currently working on, we need feedback and ideas, it's just the beginning though, it will be better for real release.
- As always, bug fixes and stability improvement.

We're waiting for some work from other devs, so the real release might contain 1 or 2 new main feature. (Slackers)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:19 am 

FYI.. I compiled and ran this on a win 2008 r2 64 bit system last night. Only one thing I found is that I could not save a VBox guest. But it may have been my qemu version. anyone notice this?