It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Well deserved and much appreciated THANK YOU.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:59 pm 

It is so, so sad how peole look at "free" software on the Interent.

I had heard of Dynamips years ago, but felt it was bit too complicated to get working well.

I got a copy of Cisco Packet Tracer while I was in school, and used it to help get my CCNA back in 2010.

About 6 months ago I decided to try studying for CCNP. When it came to the routing exam, I quickly realized it was virtually impossible to do any true rouing without the real equipment. After talking with a co-worker, about my studies he suggested GNS3. It was explained as a "front-end" for DynaMips.

"Here we go again", I thought. But I must say that what you ahve done with this product is absolutely amazing. I know ALOT of hard work has gone into this product, and it shows. Especially using the Idle PC feature now. That is TONS better than before.
I ma just now finishing up the Swithing exam for CCNP. For the majority of it I used Packet Tracer. But as I got into some more advanced stuff like VACL's and Dot1x you need the real equipment. So I began to rebuild some of the scenarios I had in Packet Tracer in GNS3.

It is particularly nice that you can use some older switch modules in the router. Of course I have decide my next move will be to buy some actual 2960 switches and add them to my GNS3 environment.

It was always my dream back in 2004 to get into Network Security. I always had the drive for it, but I was not sure I could get my ahnds on the tools/resources neccessary. It is great that the OPne-Source community has found ingenious ways to harness the often un-tapped potenential of our modern desktops and put them to test using virtualization.

Currently I wokr as a firewall admin (mostly Cisco ASA's) and I am looking forward to trying to incoporate that into GNS3 as well as Juniper network devices as well.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is: THANK YOU and your effort in this project has not been in vain. I can't wait to see what more enhancements you have in store.