It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: QEMU v1.2 Works with Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 am 

In case anyone wanted to know if this was working. In order to get it to work I had to use Mac Ports to download the (source) not sure if I could have just downloaded from the SVN, but I was trying to get the binary from Mac Ports. Instead I got the source, so God gives you lemons and well I made some lemonade.

Post subject: Re: QEMU v1.2 Works with Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:34 pm 

Can you help me to make it work? Some kind of step by step for dummies?

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:53 pm 

jf_r wrote:
Can you help me to make it work? Some kind of step by step for dummies?

Regards,

I just installed QEMU on OS X Mountain Lion- it's a piece of cake - just follow these steps:

How to Install QEMU on OS X Mountain Lion

1. Go to the AppStore and install Xcode (it's free)
2. Launch Xcode from the Application folder and complete the install (follow the prompts)
3. In Xcode select Xcode>Preferences from the toolbar, then click the Download icon.
4. Click Command Line Tools, then click Install

5. Once the Command Line Tools are installed, close Xcode and open your web browser. Download MacPorts (h**p://www.macports.org) for you version of OS X- Mountain Lion 10.8.2 in my case. Install MacPorts by double clicking the installer and following the prompts.

6. Open a Terminal window and type, sudo port install qemu and enter your admin password.

MacPorts will download all the source code and patches for Qemu, compile it, and install it on your system. When it's done, you'll find the qemu files in the /opt/local/bin/ directory.

Note: be patient if you have an older system as compiling may take some time.

You can verify the install by typing:
cd /opt/local/bin/
ls qemu*

You should see six qemu related files in the directory listing.

Once QEMU is installed you can create OS's (like Junos). I created a Junos 10.1R1.8 system and it booted without a problem.

UPDATE: After configuring a Juniper router in GNS3-0.8.3.1 and starting the router, JunOS boots right up. However, if you add a Cisco router to the network and link an interface to the Juniper router, Qemu will fail to start and crashes.

Good luck!
-Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Quote:
UPDATE: After configuring a Juniper router in GNS3-0.8.3.1 and starting the router, JunOS boots right up. However, if you add a Cisco router to the network and link an interface to the Juniper router, Qemu will fail to start and crashes.

I found Qemu to be very unstable on OSX. Besides that, I tried to manually launch JunOS (connected to a IOS router) using Qemu:

Code:
$ /opt/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 -name JUNOS1 -m 128 /var/folders/yn/3y4wnfzn76jg81ml9n16cbn80000gn/T/GNS3_NSLK3H/workdir/JUNOS1/FLASH -hdb /var/folders/yn/3y4wnfzn76jg81ml9n16cbn80000gn/T/GNS3_NSLK3H/workdir/JUNOS1/SWAP -net nic,vlan=0,macaddr=00:ab:ae:99:e3:00,model=e1000 -net udp,vlan=0,sport=20000,dport=10000,daddr=127.0.0.1 -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:00:ab:4b:46:01,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=2,macaddr=00:00:ab:63:2c:02,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=3,macaddr=00:00:ab:81:e3:03,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=4,macaddr=00:00:ab:95:91:04,model=e1000 -net nic,vlan=5,macaddr=00:00:ab:09:33:05,model=e1000 -serial telnet::3000,server,nowait
qemu-system-i386: -net udp,vlan=0,sport=20000,dport=10000,daddr=127.0.0.1: Invalid parameter 'udp'

Notice the invalid parameter 'udp'. This is like UDP tunnels are not supported, this work on Linux/Windows! ... Definitively don't like how it work on OSX. Even if I launch JunOS without linking it to another device, I can see JunOS booting and after a while Qemu just crash :(

Code:
$ /opt/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 --version
QEMU emulator version 1.3.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 pm 

Quote:
I found Qemu to be very unstable on OSX.

Same here. I've been attempting to get a reliable build of Qemu that works on current OS X versions. So far the only version that I've found to run reliably on OS X is qemu-0.11.0, which I built from source on Snow Leopard. I've gzipped and copied the files to OS X systems running Lion and Mountain Lion- and it runs like a champ on all my systems. I've used it in conjunction with JunOS (10.1R1.8) , ASA (8.4) and IDS (IPS-K9-cd-1.1-a-6.0-6-E3).

I've written a shell script that installs it on an OS X computer. Any known legalities if I want to share it with other users via FTP? It's GPL so I think I should be able to. You may even want to include it with the GNS3 installer for OS X.

-Jason

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

Quote:
Same here. I've been attempting to get a reliable build of Qemu that works on current OS X versions. So far the only version that I've found to run reliably on OS X is qemu-0.11.0, which I built from source on Snow Leopard. I've gzipped and copied the files to OS X systems running Lion and Mountain Lion- and it runs like a champ on all my systems. I've used it in conjunction with JunOS (10.1R1.8) , ASA (8.4) and IDS (IPS-K9-cd-1.1-a-6.0-6-E3).

Good to know I am not the only one ;)

Quote:
I've written a shell script that installs it on an OS X computer. Any known legalities if I want to share it with other users via FTP? It's GPL so I think I should be able to. You may even want to include it with the GNS3 installer for OS X.

No problem to share Qemu. It would be nice to include it in the next release of GNS3 DMG for OSX.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:00 am 

Quote:
No problem to share Qemu. It would be nice to include it in the next release of GNS3 DMG for OSX

Below is a link to a gzipped file that includes a crude installer for QEMU-0.11.0 for OS X. The installer has been patched for OS X and JunOS.

To install qemu on OS X, download the file to your Mac and double-click the gzipped file to create an installer folder.

Open the OS X Terminal app and cd to the installer folder. From within the folder type, "./Qinstall" and enter your Mac's admin password. Qemu files will be created under /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/local/share/.

To configure GNS3, use the following settings:

Path to Qemu: /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-i386
Path to Qemu-img: /usr/local/bin/qemu-img

As I stated before, everything has been tested thoroughly on OS X Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion using multiple Apple hardware platforms with GNS3-0.8.2 through GNS3-0.8.3.1.

Link to Installer file:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gns-3/f ... ed-OSX.tgz

Jeremy,
Please check this out; if you're satisfied with the results perhaps you can place it on sourceforge.net under the qemu section of GNS3.

Sorry about the crude installer, but I don't know the first thing about creating DMG installers for OS X, and I don't have time to learn it right now.

Thanks,
-Jason

Last edited by Jason on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Admin

Hey Jason,

Fantastic work, I tested FreeBSD and ASA on OSX Lion, they both work without any issue, something I have never been able to do on OSX!

Thanks so much for this contribution. I'll definitively include this Qemu to our next DMG and add it on sourceforge soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:24 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Hey Jason,

Fantastic work, I tested FreeBSD and ASA on OSX Lion, they both work without any issue, something I have never been able to do on OSX!

Thanks so much for this contribution. I'll definitively include this Qemu to our next DMG and add it on sourceforge soon.

No problem. I'll leave my link up for a couple of weeks before removing it.

-Jason

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm 

ANYONE PLEASE HELP,

On the mac what are the QEMU Options and the Kernel cmd line settings on mac?

I am running mountain lion and GNS3 version 0.8.3.1.

My app crashes as soon as I try to boot the ASA.