It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: GNS3 Survey outcome
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 pm 

Will it be able to include Cisco Nexus platform?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:39 am 
Site Admin

Here are the answers to your questions:

Quote:
Any idea on when the new release will be?

We have a new release scheduled for early January, version 0.8.4.

Then another one which should be a major rewrite of GNS3 to allow us to include new emulators like IOU etc. which is planned for next summer.

Quote:
However we dont need a switch with all the features just the most important like VLAN, SPT etc like in PT.

The Etherswitch module does these features but I want something simpler and that we can upgrade (like in PT).

Quote:
But I didn't see in the summery the users feedback on the Chinese devices, Huawei routers and switches.

19% of the respondents to our survey said they want to see Huawer routers in GNS3. Please note that it is already possible to link GNS3 devices with eNSP (Huawei simulator) routers but we want an easier integration however this is not gonna be our priority.

Quote:
It seems that all GNS3 developers' agendas are full for quite some time! ;)

Regarding CCNP Labs, you can (down)load my collection from this thread: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/threa ... 0&tstart=0

Yes, we are gonna have some busy months ;) Thanks for the labs, I'll check that out.

Quote:
As far as Catalyst switch support under IOU, why couldn't that be implemented as a virtual machine or appliance, which you could then "hook into" GNS3. I use Virtual Box under Windows, which is free from Oracle, so conceptually this doesn't seem as if it would be that difficult to design and implement.

This is one solution but I would prefer something native however Windows is the main issue to that solution. So yes you are right, we could have something that communicate to a VirtualBox which host IOU. Also, it is interesting to node that since VirtualBox 4.2, VLAN tagging is supported, that could be used in our future IOU support.

Quote:
Ostinato (http://ostinato.org) VM images can be used as traffic generator with GNS3. If the GNS3 development team is interested we can look into the possibilities of tighter integration of Ostinato and GNS3

Ostinato is very exciting project, we could have something like an Ostinato node in GNS3 that inject traffic into virtual networks. So yes I am really interested by your idea, the main thing that Ostinato should support are UDP tunnels, this shouldn't be a problem to implement.

Quote:
I have already mention my opinion in the survey, IOU & VMware will give GNS3 incredible opportunities. I also totally agree with a professional version of GNS3 with a cost 15-30$ or a reminder to the people to donate more often maybe with a banner in GNS3 that will be always visible. My personal experience is that not too many people Donate for free projects and then the projects stopped.

This is true, not too many people donate to free projects, however we really like GNS3 to be open source and free. We are thinking of alternative ways to raise money. Our best idea is to make official training material to study certs using GNS3 to practice, it wouldn't be expensive and would help us a lot. Anyway, thanks for your ideas :)

Code:
Will it be able to include Cisco Nexus platform?

Same as with XR4U, there is something called Titanium which simulate Nexus but I really don't know if this could be used in GNS3 one day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 am 

Thanks Jeremy for taking the ideas from users who actually use and make results from the very helpfull tool (GNS3).

Looking forward for better as per survey summary

Regards & Best of Luck,
Khalid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:08 am 

For "windows-labs" (e.g. for MS system certifications) it would be awesome if there would be easy to config routers available to create "simple" labs (Multiple subnets) without using cisco emulation.

Surely it would be very welcome, this implementation to assist in the MS certifications.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 pm 

This survey ended too quickly. When I read the mail inviting me to respond to this survey, it was already ended.
Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Quote:
This survey ended too quickly. When I read the mail inviting me to respond to this survey, it was already ended.

Sorry to hear that. The survey has been available for a full week. Next time we would do 2.

You can leave your comments about GNS3 here if you want.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:20 am 

I just want to say I LOVE YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:21 am 

Hi GNS3'S

I missed the survey, but will like to see even packet tracer switching (L2, L3) with some advance feature will be highly appreciated and loopback support for linux, i don't know if possible.

GNS3 remains my #1 application for studies and fun. Thanks Guys for all your hardwork!!!!.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 am 

How extensive will the new version be? Is it primarily a repackaging of the existing interface with new features and options added, or will it be a full blown rewrite of entire GNS3 system? If so, what might that entail in comparison to the existing system.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
How extensive will the new version be? Is it primarily a repackaging of the existing interface with new features and options added, or will it be a full blown rewrite of entire GNS3 system? If so, what might that entail in comparison to the existing system.

The look and feel of GNS3 will mostly stay the same. Most of the changes are gonna be at the code level. Users should expect to get better error reporting, reliability, new features, new devices etc.