It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: USB to Ethernet adapter for a CCIE switching lab
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 pm 

I'm setting up a switching lab similar to the one shown here - www.gns3.net/switching-usb-to-ethernet- ... rs-option/ for CCIE R&S.

For USB to Ethernet adapters I purchased one from the local hardware store to check if it supports features required for a CCIE lab before purchasing more of those.

The model of this device is "Davicom DM9601 USB Ethernet" (as shown in the dmesg command of Ubuntu).

I setup a topology in GNS3 to check if the adapter supports 802.1Q (VLAN tagging) with the router-on-a-stick method with a GNS3 router and a real Cisco 3560 switch and it works fine.

Should I check if the adapter supports certain other concepts or can I go ahead and buy more of these ?

Post subject: Re: USB to Ethernet adapter for a CCIE switching lab
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm 

Unless I'm missing something, it sounds like you can proceed with your project. I've used USB Ethernet on Ubuntu/GNS3 and not had problems. I suppose you could use Wireshark and check for VLAN tagging as shown from the URL you provided.

Best of luck,
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am 

Thanks Jason. Yes wireshark does show tagged VLAN frames incoming and outgoing.

I have another doubt, when I connect to a real Cisco 3560 switch from this USB to Ethernet adapter the switch auto negotiates to Half duplex and 10Mbps speed which can be seen using the command

Code:
sh int f0/3 | in duplex

if I manually change the speed to 100 by using the "speed 100" interface subcommand the port goes down and the port LED turns off.

Using the "ethtool" command in Ubuntu I find that the speed of the adapter is 100Mbps full duplex even if the switch auto negotiates to 10Mbps half duplex.

Is this a problem with the cable ?

PS: The "ethtool" command reports the port type as MII.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:19 pm 

Yeah your going to have to experiment with setting speed and duplex. Make sure to do it on both sides of the link though. I use the QinQ to breakout switch method, which is a bit different than yours. I've also seen some quirks where I have to set the virtual routers speed and duplex but nothing elses. It'll work great in the end, but it's always going to be a learning experience.

My advice regardless of which method you use. Don't use "nio_linux" to connect your virtual routers, use "nio_gen". nio_linux sometimes drops double tagged packets for some reason, your setup probably won't have this, but just in case it's worth considering. QinQ adds an extra vlan tag, so my configuration has that potential complication.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:13 pm 

Hello Jesin or anyone else familiar with this issue,

So i have the same setup as you do (12 USB to ethernet adapters) for the INE Lab. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I cannot get VLAN tagging to work. When I use wireshark, I can see 802.1Q protocol being used but nothing is tagged. No tagged packets. My adapters fully support 802.1Q (they have AX88179 chipset). I can't ping the sub-interfaces of R6 fa0/0. ARPs to R6 are incomplete. Any suggestions?