It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: GNS3 and Dynamips DEB Packages
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:27 pm 

The way I see it, (@Dan, thanks for the link to the Stack Overflow article) is that if there are .deb packages for both GNS3 and VPCS, then both wil get installed to the /usr/bin directory, so searching the PATH doesn't matter.

Am I missing something?

Chris

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are the plans to still search all the paths in the PATH variable?

This is already done and should work with the latest RC release.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:27 am 

@Daniel

From the previous discussion, it makes sense to put qemu and qemu-img in /usr/local/bin I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the whole idea is that we have our "own" version of qemu that knows how to use NIO-UDP interfaces, (and how to interpret the -net udp parameter) whereas the "official" qemu doesn't - hence the whole (I believe now grossly mis-named) olive.patch and our own install script.

[There's part of me thinking here "Why don't we submit the patch to the official qemu repository so all future versions of qemu will support the -net udp option?"]

And another part of me is thinking "If this version is so peculiar to GNS3, why do we make people go throught the troubel of doing the patch. Why don't we do it once and put the binary on the downloads page?"

@Jeremy
This being the case (that qemu and qemu-img live in /usr/local/bin , then the default settings in GNS3 Preferences, Qemu settings [General Settings] tab for Path to qemu: should be /usr/local/bin/qemu and the Path to qemu-img: should be /usr/local/bin/qemu-img, rather than the currently rather confusing: Path to qemu: being qemu-i386 and the Path to qemu-img: being qemu-img

[Apologies if I'm actually posting this in the wrong thread - probably should be in the main thread]

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:09 am 
Site Admin

@rednectar

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the whole idea is that we have our "own" version of qemu that knows how to use NIO-UDP interfaces, (and how to interpret the -net udp parameter) whereas the "official" qemu doesn't - hence the whole (I believe now grossly mis-named) olive.patch and our own install script.

[There's part of me thinking here "Why don't we submit the patch to the official qemu repository so all future versions of qemu will support the -net udp option?"]

And another part of me is thinking "If this version is so peculiar to GNS3, why do we make people go throught the troubel of doing the patch. Why don't we do it once and put the binary on the downloads page?"

You must have missed news I think, the patch has been integrated upstream since Qemu version >= 1.1. No need to apply a patch anymore.

Quote:
This being the case (that qemu and qemu-img live in /usr/local/bin , then the default settings in GNS3 Preferences, Qemu settings [General Settings] tab for Path to qemu: should be /usr/local/bin/qemu and the Path to qemu-img: should be /usr/local/bin/qemu-img, rather than the currently rather confusing: Path to qemu: being qemu-i386 and the Path to qemu-img: being qemu-img

I'll change this soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 am 

@Jeremy
Quote:
You must have missed news I think, the patch has been integrated upstream since Qemu version >= 1.1. No need to apply a patch anymore.

You are absolutely correct. I missed some news. And after searching for half an hour I stall can't find any reference to the "news" on this site. The best I can find is http://redmine.gns3.net/projects/1/wiki/QemuHelp

But I don't understand what it is saying. Too many assumptions that you know what Qemu does. I think I'll try and put together something that will tell the community exactly how to install Qemu. I have no idea what this means:
Quote:
Default behavior
By default, GNS3 will use the new syntax, however if you decide you really need the -dump feature you could use a patched Qemu and set qemuprotocol to 0 in qemuwrapper.py.

But I need to know:

If I just install qemu (sudo apt-get install qemu) what else do I have to do to make it work? In particular, where do I get qemuwrapper, or does that get installed with the new .deb that Daniel put together?
Which of the following will I still have to do?
#To prepare for QEMU:
sudo apt-get install python -y
sudo apt-get install qt4-dev-tools -y
sudo apt-get install pyqt4-dev-tools -y
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libsdl-dev libpcap-dev -y

or does this stuff get installed automatically with the .deb for GNS3?

Need to get to the bottom of this - can one of the more qemu versed experts help me?

Edit: I've started on a fresh Linux - installed qemu (apt-get install turned up v1.4) and installed Dan's .deb of dynamips and GNS3. The qemu test works. Now to add an image and an ASA and see if that works. But that can wait till morning

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:02 pm 

I've put together a document which hopefully details most of what/where the deb packages puts files.

If anybody has any suggestions in particular to the default gns3.ini they would be most appreciated.

Attachments:
GNS3 Packaging.pdf [156.21 KiB]
Downloaded 220 times

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

@rednectar

Do not worry about the doc on Redmine, it was mainly intended to programmers. Regarding the news, there were multiple mentions of it on this forum like topic4901.html but this isn't important. What you need to know is that for Qemu >= 1.1, you shouldn't worry about any patch or syntax etc. It should just work out of the box has you figured out already :)

@claydon_dan

Excellent job! When everything is ok on your side, we can integrate what is necessary to the current repositories of GNS3 and Dynamips. I am thinking about the debian folder that contains all the necessary files to create a DEB package. The RC4 is coming soon and this would be the right occasion.

Regarding the default gns3.ini, I would just keep as everything else should be by default in GNS3.

[GNS3]
ios_directory=$HOME/GNS3/Images/
project_directory=$HOME/GNS3/Projects/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

@rednectar

Quote:

Actually non absolute paths (just qemu/qemu-img) should work, not need to set /usr/local/bin/qemu and /usr/local/bin/qemu-img as long as /usr/local/bin is in the PATH environment variable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 am 

Hello. Thanks fo the packages. I'm going to install Debian 7.0 Wheezy to my Work PC as secondary, or maybe primary OS for GNS3. Will the Deb package be updated to final 0.8.4 release?

Upd. Seems to be I will revert back, every time when I try install my favorite Debian on Desktop instead of Servers, iI facing ugly font rendering which tear my eyes.

Upd 2. Seems to be sound solution. Infinality

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=88545

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:35 am 

Dynamips want libc6 (>= 2.15), but Debian has 2.13. Opened bug.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next