It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 Add-a-link tool override with <Shift> suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:24 am 

The default setting in GNS3 Preferences, General settings, [GUI Settings] tab is to have the [x] Always use manual mode when adding links

I agree that this is the correct default setting, and I do prefer to use manual mode most of the time.

But sometimes, I'd just like to use the automatic mode to force the router to add another card without having to go through the Device Configurator.

What I'd like to see is the ability to override the current setting by holding the <Shift> key when selecting the Add-a-link tool. In other words, force manual mode into automatic, and automatic into manual.

If implemented, the dialogue in GNS3 Preferences, General settings, GUI Settings should be updated to say:
[x] Always use manual mode when adding links (Override by holding down <Shift>)

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Post subject: Re: GNS3 Add-a-link tool override with <Shift> suggestion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:02 am 

Quote:
[x] Always use manual mode when adding links (Override by holding down <Shift>)

I agree with Chris that a toggle may be useful in some circumstances, but personally I find wordy explanations in Preferences to be a little much and they can be confusing to users. Rule #1 should apply to menu explanations too. ;)

<Feature request>
I think some sort of mouse over feature, that provides a complete explanation and options for a given preference (or group of related preferences), would make a nice addition to a future release. This sort of help is very useful because, unlike a standard help button, mouse overs are contextual and relevant to what your're doing at the time. GNS3 doesn't need to have verbose explanations for very little thing, but there are a few places where they could be useful, especially to new users.

-Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 pm 

@Jason. Thanks for reminding me re rule#1! The mouse over would be much nicer.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Does a tool tip on the "Add a link" button saying "To add links between devices. Use SHIFT to force the automatic mode." or something similar would be enough?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:14 am 

Two ways to go about this.

Method 1: Involves having a different tool-tip depending on the state of the [X] Always use manual mode when adding links option.
A. In manual mode, (ie [X] Always use manual mode when adding links is checked) have the tool tip say:
Add a link (press SHIFT to select link type and enable auto module insertion) - ie if you press SHIFT and click on the Add a link tool, you get the pop-up of link types (including manual) and the program continues to work as it normally does if you had NOT checked the[ ] Always use manual mode when adding links

B. in Auto mode (ie [ ] Always use manual mode when adding links is NOT checked) have the tool tip say:
Add a link. Auto module insertion enabled

Method 2: Keeps the tool tip the same, but is implemented differently
The tool-tip always says: Add a link (Use SHIFT-click on device to force auto module insertion)
A. In manual mode.
Clicking on a device brings up a list of available ports (as per current version)
SHIFT-clicking on a device brings up a list of device types [ATM; Ethernet; FastEthernet;GigiabitEthernet; POS; Serial]. Selecting one of these adds the appropriate module (or an Unsupported Interface type message) and makes a connection to the first port available on that module.
B. In auto mode.
Clicking on a device works the same as now - auto-insertion if necessary.
SHIFT-clicking on a device works exactly the same as described for manual mode.

Personally I think Method #1 would be easier to implement and cleaner, but I added option 2 in case it was actually easier to program.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:48 am 

And while working with the Add a link tool, can we please have the Add a Link option on the Device meu available even when there is no device selected? (ATM, there are no options on the Device menu unless a device is selected)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

I implemented method 1.

Quote:
And while working with the Add a link tool, can we please have the Add a Link option on the Device meu available even when there is no device selected? (ATM, there are no options on the Device menu unless a device is selected)

This menu is supposed to be contextual depending what device(s) is selected, not sure forcing the addition of the "add a link" option is very useful.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:22 pm 

OK. I'm happy with that.

My thinking was the idea of having Add a link on the device menu is so there is always a way to describe to someone how to get to the Add a link tool - even if the Devices dock is not showing. Currently, you have to say:

Quote:
To add links between devices, select a device (any device will do). Now click Device | Add a link. Now click on the device you wish (...etc)

It would be simler to describe if I could say:
Quote:
To add links between devices, click Device | Add a link. Now click on the device you wish (...etc)

...but so long as I have a way of describing it that's going to work every time, I don't mind.