It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Screenshot option
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 pm 

#1. I love the fact that a screenshot gets taken as you save a project. But I guess there will some who will want to turn it off, so I'm suggesting that an option be added, probably to GNS3 Preferences, General settings, [GUI Settings] tab, saying something like: [x] Include a screenshot when saving a project

Or in whatever place is appropriate. Maybe the [General] tab is more appropriate.

#2. IMPORTANT
I'd also like to suggest that the default name be actually topology.png rather than screenshhot.png - even though screenshot.png was my suggestion. My next suggestion will explain my path to this decision.

#3. I'd like to see that the mask for opening filenames be changed from the current *.net to *.net;*.png. That way, users could select either the topology.net filename, or topology.png filename. Irrespective of whether you choose topology.net, or topology.png the end result is that topology.net is actually the file that gets opened.

I think that clearly this would be much easier to implement where the name of the screenshot file matched the name of the topology file.

The advantage of being able to select a project based on topology.png is that when choosing the file to open, you can view the topology.png in the preview pane of your operating systems' file manager as you open the file.

There is one more point I should make: To be more precise, I'd actually like the screenshot name to be same as the .net file, rather than specifically "topology.png". This means that if I edit topology.net by hand, and call it say topology1.net, then I can still open topology1.net in GNS3. The current behaviour is that when I save then project based on topology1.net, screenshot.png gets overwritten. Implementing the suggestion this way would mean that when I saved topology1.net, then topology1.png would be the name of the associated screenshot.

Summary:
Suggestion #2 (change the default filename to topology.net) is the most important for 0.8.4 final release, even if suggestion #3 isn't implemented yet, because at least that lays the foundation to be able to implement suggestion #3 with backwards compatibility in the future.

Suggestion #1 is just a detail. For me personally, I don't care if it gets implemented or not, but I guess it should be there.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Post subject: Re: Screenshot option
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:22 am 
Site Admin

I implemented all your suggestions.

Thanks!