It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: GNS3 0.8.4 is out!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:56 pm 

[Re: previous post topic6594-39.html] I checked later - mostly PEBKAC error. I DIDN'T go through the 3 initial steps when I first installed - thereby not saving the paths to the Project and Images directory, which then defaulted to ~\.gns3

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:26 am 

There is another incompatibility issue between GNS3 0.8.4 and dynamips 0.2.8 and dynamips 0.2.9. See topic6742.html for more info, but basically the Edit | Preferences | Dynamips settings [Dynamips] tab, [Test Settings] button doesn't work reliably on Linux.

This is because pressing the [Test Settings] button causes GNS3 to issue a dynamips --help command, which is an unsupported command, and dynamips hangs

Need to add a --help option to dynamips (and why not add a --version option at the same time)
This is now being discussed at https://github.com/GNS3/dynamips/issues ... t-22071181

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Last edited by rednectar on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ref discussion at https://github.com/GNS3/dynamips/issues/17#issuecomment-22071181

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 pm 

Another bug:

When I choose Tools | VPCS I guess a script runs that does a cd command to change directory to the Project_Name/configs directory

The problem is that if Project_Name has any spaces in it, the script shows an error before running VPCS. eg.

My project lives in "/home/user/GNS3/WorkBench/Projects/ICND1 Exercises" - Note the space after the ICND1

The error I get when running VPCS is:

bash: line 0: cd: /home/user/GNS3/WorkBench/Projects/ICND1: No such file or directory

therefore, the startup.vpc config doesn't load

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:50 am 
Site Admin

@rednectar

Quote:
1. The IDLE PC: Auto Calculation to work for dynamips 0.2.8

This is gonna be fixed and tested on OSX/Windows/Linux.

Quote:
2. The [x] Save nvrams... option will works for rsa keys (does this require an update to dynamips as well?)

The latest version of Dynamips (0.2.9) work for crypto keys :) Also the bug with saving configs in c3745 IOS is gone. Hooray!

Quote:
3. The wording of this option to be changed to
[x] Save crypto keys and EtherSwitch VLAN configs (as suggested in topic5374-3.html)

... perhaps [x] Save nvrams including EtherSwitch VLANs and crypto keys might be even better, because it will save your startup config as well as VLANs and crypto keys

I picked up the latest suggestion.

Quote:
What I'm hoping will also be included

1. File | Manage Snapshots will have four options: [Create] [Delete] [Restore] [Close] with the Load option removed. See topic6581.html

Will see if this is straightforward to do. No promises.

Quote:
And One More Tiny wording change request (11th hour I know - sorry)

In Edit | IOS images and hypervisors, the option [x] Use hypervisor manager is confusing (because a) you configure it in preferences, and b) no-one knows what it is about anyay)

I have two suggestions for changing the wording
Option 1 - Simple
Change the wording to:

[ ] Bind to external hypervisor(s)

...with the default option being disabled - in other words, if users want to bind an image to and external IP address, they have to check this box

It make soooo much more sense than the current option of having to de-select an option to make the associated option available, and relates to the [External Hypervisors] tab that they CAN see

Option 2 - Not as Simple but better
Change to a radio button toggle:
(o) Use the localhost hypervisor manager
( ) Bind to external hypervisor(s)

...with the default option being (o) Use the localhost hypervisor manager - the ability to select external hypervisors will not be possible until the (o) Bind to external hypervisor(s) option is selected. Note also the word localhost has been added to the hypervisor manager option too to contrast with the "external" hypervisor choice.

However, I can see that a) this option would take more work and b) it is unique in GNS3 in that I don't think there are any other places where radio-button choices are made apart from when using the add-a-link tool.

I chose your first option - Bind to external hypervisor(s) - as it was the most simple. Also, this dialog is gonna be completely redesigned and/or merged with Preferences in the 1.x versions of GNS3.

Quote:
Another bug:

When I choose Tools | VPCS I guess a script runs that does a cd command to change directory to the Project_Name/configs directory

The problem is that if Project_Name has any spaces in it, the script shows an error before running VPCS. eg.

My project lives in "/home/user/GNS3/WorkBench/Projects/ICND1 Exercises" - Note the space after the ICND1

The error I get when running VPCS is:

bash: line 0: cd: /home/user/GNS3/WorkBench/Projects/ICND1: No such file or directory

therefore, the startup.vpc config doesn't load

Ok, I will take care of it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:06 pm 

I started to use a mac a couple of months ago and I am still struggling a bit with the OSX.
Anyway, I decided to share my experience with version v0.8.4 on my mac OS.

I installed GNS3-0.8.4-OSX-Lion.dmg. But it seems that it "only" includes dynamips-0.2.8-community-OSX.intel64.bin and dynamips-0.2.8-RC3-community-OSX.intel64.bin.
According to the release notes it should have at least 0.2.8-RC5, right?

Both of the included dynamips versions work but I would like to use a newer version of dynamips. So, downloaded dynamips-0.2.8-RC6-community-OSX.intel64.bin and dynamips-0.2.8-RC7-community-OSX.intel64.bin.
I included both of these files in the /Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/ directory. But on both RC6 and RC7 I got the red text: Failed to start Dyamips. Dont know if it is an issue with this version of gns or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 pm 

You have done well to get as far as you did!

I'm guessing you are getting the Failed to start Dynamips AFTER you have downloaded dynamips to /Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/ directory, selected it in GNS3 | Preferences | Dynamips | [Dynamips] tab and then hit the [Test Settings] button, like this:
Attachment:
failedtostartdynamips.jpg
failedtostartdynamips.jpg [ 100.86 KiB | Viewed 4292 times ]

The problem is that the downloaded file is not marked as executable

If you issue the following command in a terminal window it should fix the problem
Code:
sudo chmod +x /Applications/GNS3.app/Contents/Resources/dynamips-0.2.8-RC7-community-OSX.intel64.bin

Attachment:
dynamipsstarted.jpg
dynamipsstarted.jpg [ 103.01 KiB | Viewed 4292 times ]

PS - if you are using OSX - check out iterm2 - has many nice features like being able to send input to multiple tabs at the same time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:19 am 

Thanks rednectar. You were absolutely right. The files weren't marked as executable.
It works like a charm now :)

Thanks for the tip about iterm2. I've just installed it and going to use it.

Once again Thank you for you help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
The problem is that the downloaded file is not marked as executable

I added an additional test in GNS3 to check if Dynamips is marked as executable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

I've integrated/fixed everything on my list for the next release of GNS3. Now, I am gonna wait for bug reports and Dynamips 0.2.10. The version will be GNS3 0.8.5 instead of 0.8.4.1

To test, please use this dev snapshot:
http://code.gns3.net/gns3-devel/archive ... 71f2e0.zip

and the current Dynamips dev version:
https://github.com/GNS3/dynamips/archive/master.zip

Compiled binaries for Windows and OSX:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3carnfgoagki0el/koEpY_jSYr

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:20 am 

When downloading the Windows version under Chrome 29 beta:
Attachment:
GNS3 Malicious.JPG
GNS3 Malicious.JPG [ 12.19 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]

What's going on?

Beta Test Team
GNS3 0.8.6 on Windows 7 64 bits
GNS3 0.8.6 on Ubuntu 13.10 and Qemu 1.5.2
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next