It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EtherSwitch Router - Can't ping itself
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 pm 

I dropped a c3700 router onto the work space. Noticed it had 0/0 and 0/1, and 1/0-1/15 already installed. Configured, but wouldn't work for a simple router on the stick config. Did some searching in forums, found that it might now have the dang NM-16ESW module installed!?!? So I check, and it doesn't, so what the heck was I even configuring? Screwy...

Next, I add NM-16ESW to slot 1, and I couldn't remove the GT96100-FE installed in Slot 0 that another poster mentioned to do. Reloaded router. Still no good, can't ping itself.

What am I missing here...this is like the easiest thing to do, ping one's self, but I can't??

This is my first time using this product, and I am already disgusted with GNS3's behavior. Is every step going to be like this, or is this just a fluke?

Thank you in advance

Post subject: Re: EtherSwitch Router - Can't ping itself
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:23 am 

CalGuY wrote:
I dropped a c3700 router onto the work space. Noticed it had 0/0 and 0/1, and 1/0-1/15 already installed. Configured, but wouldn't work for a simple router on the stick config. Did some searching in forums, found that it might now have the dang NM-16ESW module installed!?!? So I check, and it doesn't, so what the heck was I even configuring? Screwy...
What version of GNS3 are you using? Did you drag a c3700 router or an EtherSwitch Router?

CalGuY wrote:
Next, I add NM-16ESW to slot 1, and I couldn't remove the GT96100-FE installed in Slot 0 that another poster mentioned to do. Reloaded router. Still no good, can't ping itself.
The GT96100-FE can't be removed as this is mainboard of the router. This is the same as a physical c3700.

CalGuY wrote:
What am I missing here...this is like the easiest thing to do, ping one's self, but I can't??
On what interface did you configure the interface, without seeing some configuration we can't workout whether it's a config error or a genuine bug.

CalGuY wrote:
This is my first time using this product, and I am already disgusted with GNS3's behavior. Is every step going to be like this, or is this just a fluke?
Please remember that GNS3/Dynamips is free software, which Jeremy and many others have spent countless hours developing, for zero return. GNS3/Dynamips is a very stable platform for learning/testing configuration of cisco routers (+ others), but there may well be bugs/missing hardware that we simply cannot implement, which is where physical hardware comes into play.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:55 pm 

Ok, so I posted up two posts, but killed them based on the confidence and predictability of what I am seeing.

Seems it was IOS based...even though I was using a newer IOS than what the poster in the walk through was using, the image was requiring all these old "vlan database" (can we say way of the dodo?) commands and such that I have never had to use previously, but had learned about many years ago. I changed the IOS I was using to something older than what I was using (c3745-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-15.t8.bin now vs c3745-adventerprisek9-mz.124-25.bin previously), and now everything is working much more like I am used to. The walk through wasn't even using an IVS, just an MZ that was older, and his was working like my IVS-MZ that is older than the first I was using...I just don't get that. Anyway.

GNS3 Question I don't understand:

1. In "IOS images and hypervisors", my image file was previously listed next to "Image file:", but now there is an empty blank area there. My image and path, etc, is above though, under "Images", so is that normal behavior? I don't like how it was there when I edited just a few min ago, changed to a diff IOS, and now that I am back looking at it, that path that was previously showing is gone.

2. In regard to the above, when I click the [...] button to select an image file (as I did to change from the trash IOS to this better one I am now using), it takes me to "IOS IMAGES"...which is empty minus two .txt files. Am I required to put my images here, or can I go select them as I have been doing?

Current path to "IOS Images" = "path\cisco\IOS Images"
Current path to my actual images = "path\cisco\cisco file collection\<devicename>" Each router/switch/firewall/phone, etc, all have their own directories, and some are broken down further into 12.3, 12.4, and 15.x for a specific device (say a 2821 router for example).

Thank you for the help

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:01 pm 

CalGuY wrote:
GNS3 Question I don't understand:

1. In "IOS images and hypervisors", my image file was previously listed next to "Image file:", but now there is an empty blank area there. My image and path, etc, is above though, under "Images", so is that normal behavior? I don't like how it was there when I edited just a few min ago, changed to a diff IOS, and now that I am back looking at it, that path that was previously showing is gone.
Yes, this is normal. If you click on an IOS Image from the list it will display all the settings in the boxes.

CalGuY wrote:
2. In regard to the above, when I click the [...] button to select an image file (as I did to change from the trash IOS to this better one I am now using), it takes me to "IOS IMAGES"...which is empty minus two .txt files. Am I required to put my images here, or can I go select them as I have been doing?

Current path to "IOS Images" = "path\cisco\IOS Images"
Current path to my actual images = "path\cisco\cisco file collection\<devicename>" Each router/switch/firewall/phone, etc, all have their own directories, and some are broken down further into 12.3, 12.4, and 15.x for a specific device (say a 2821 router for example).
Where you store your IOS Images is entirely upto you, GNS3 creates the images directory, to hold all the images in one place. The path can be changed in the Preferences dialog box from the Edit menu.

It is also entirely fine to store your IOS Images in whatever structure suits you. Mine are simply categorized by router model.