It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ubuntu , gns3 connecting to 4 switches using 12 ethernet ifs
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:06 pm 

Hi,

moved my system from windows to ubutu 12.04 to get faster response. i am trying to connect 12 interfaces in gns3 to the 4 cisco 3560s.

problem is when ubuntu boots up , the 12 ethernet interfaces show status disconnected. after adding ip to router1 -f0/0 and connecting to external sw1 port 1 -- , ( no switchport), i am unable to see any pings go through

ifconfig -a shows no input or output packets.

the interface on the ubuntu system is working since i can assign " iface eth0 inet dhcp " in etc/networks/interfaces and the connected switch interface as a dhcp server and system eth0 gets an ip addres.,

but how do i get the interface to come up under ubuntu -- used virtual cloud and assigned eth0 interface to r1-f0/0 with a ip address but cannot ping the sw1 port?

do i need to do a special config for eth0 to eth11 interface configuration - under etc/network/interfaces ?

please help -- need to get this lab up and running soon. thank you all for reading this post and trying to help.

here is how the interfaces file look now
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0

Post subject: Re: ubuntu , gns3 connecting to 4 switches using 12 ethernet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:48 am 

I'm actually running into the same exact issue. When connecting my GNS3 router interface to the physical switch through a cloud interface, I can get an IP from the switch through DHCP, but I can't ping it. I can even arp from the switch and see the vRouter's MAC, but seems like there is no layer-3 connectivity. I tried the following instructions for creating a tap interface and bridge group in Ubuntu but that hasn't work for me yet.

http://myhomelab.blogspot.com/2011/12/a ... -gns3.html

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone can suggest a solution.

Post subject: Re: ubuntu , gns3 connecting to 4 switches using 12 ethernet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:10 am 

I just solved the issue I was having, which was basically caused by the vRouter not being able to arp through the cloud. In the ESXi host's networking configuration section, I chose the properties of the vswitch using the NIC out to the physical switch, then I chose the port group properties under the 'ports' tab, and under the 'Security' tab I selected "Promiscuous Mode", "MAC Address Changes", and "Forced Transmits" to accept. As soon as I made those changes, I was able to arp through and get ICMP replies.