It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Physical to virtual and vice versa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:14 pm 

Hi everyone,

This is the first time I am posting here, as I have trouble this time. Overall, I am very happy to be able to play with GNS3, as it is really "cool toy for big boy". :-)

Well, I hope someone is going to be able to help out.

My goal is to make physical router to be able to talk to the virtual GNS router.

First of all, this is my setup.

1) I have Win 7, 64 bit version with GNS3 installed on it and LAB created and all was working fine within lab itself. Used MS Loopback adapter, OSPF between routers, CISCO ASA and all flawless.
2) My Win 7 PC is running as VM machine.
3) Looked at Youtube where they say that I have to use my physical NIC-NIO in order to be able to communicate with physical device attached to GNS3, what I actually did.
4) So, my physical router is connected to a physical switch (VLAN 1) and interface on that router belongs to the same IP subnet as interface on R1 in GNS3.
5) GNS3 cloud is using my physical NIC on VMware PC which is connected to a GNS3 switch (it represents physical switch) in my server room and R1 is connected to that same switch on a map.
6) After logging into physical router, I do see MAC address of the R1 router, but on R1, I don't see MAC address of the physical router.
7) Having said that, from R1, I can not ping physical router, neither my VMware PC where GNS3 sits.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Zoro

Post subject: Re: Physical to virtual and vice versa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:16 pm 

Just to add, that I can not ping R1 from other devices within the same subnet as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:42 pm 

OK, just to add few more notes that I've discovered.

I have built in GNS3 dummy switch connected to G1/0 of the R1 and when I look at the MAC table on it, I do see physical router MAC address learned and correct IP associated with it. I do see phusical switch in my LAN, where physical router connects to it and both MAC's are available in my GNS, but still I can't ping from R1 this router ort anything else on the same subnet, neither the opposite.

Any idea?

thx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 pm 

All fixed.

Someone might have the same problem, so let me share it. It is slightly different from the steps explained in this thread:

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?p ... ght=#21774

My steps follow:

1) Set up a Loopback adapter on your PC.
2) The next phase is to bridge the Loopback adapter with your wired/wireless adapter. This is the key to making it all work.
a. Open your Network Connections
b. Use the <Ctrl> to select both the Loopback adapter you just created and your wired/wireless adapter.
c. Right Click and the select Bridge Connections. Windows will then set up a new adapter called Network Bridge (MAC Bridge Miniport). All of the IP settings for your wired/wireless adapter will now show up under the Network Bridge. Not in my case, as I had to configure Bridge Adapter with the same IP settings as physical adapter; didn't pick them up automatically.
d. - Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- In the command window, type "netsh bridge show adapter"
- Note the number assigned to the wired/wireless and MS loopback adapter and type "netsh bridge set adapter 1 e" where you substitute the number displayed in the previous step for the number 1 in this step. So, do this for the both wired/wireless and MS loopback adapter.
- To double check the wired/wireless and MS loopback adapter cards are correctly set with Force Compatibility Mode enabled, type the "netsh bridge show adapter" command again.
3) At this point follow the instructions in the GNS3 documentation on Communicating with Real Networks. When you have the option to choose your network adapter, choose the Loopback adapter you created.
a. Be sure to give the interface on the GNS3 router that connects to your cloud an IP address that is on the same subnet as your wired/wireless network.

After performing these steps, I was able to ping devices on my LAN and back to GNS3 network.
As my main goal was to be able to run OSPF between GNS3 and my physical LAN (lab environment) , this proves that OSPF is working fine between CISCO ISR 7200 (GNS) and Dell Sonicwall NSA-240, where Sonicwall injects Default Route into OSPF.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:29 pm 

Thanks for updating and contributing

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs