Here is a quick and dirty way to get vSRX working in GNS3. The big issue with using Olive is that you lose a lot of functionality by only being able to work with management interfaces. Not being able to configure fe- and ge- interfaces, apply security rules and such is very frustrating when trying to understand policy on srx. this solves that problem.
1. Take OVA image and extract the VMDK and OVF manually using 7zip or winrar.
2. Import extracted OVF into VMware Player - remember the folder that you choose to import your new virtual machine to. Wait until your VM is fully imported.
3. Go to the location of your imported VM and copy the new VMDK to your GNS3 host.
4. Check your qemu version. I have only tested this with QEMU 1.5.0 but I am sure it works with any version later than that.
5. In GNS3 goto Preferences > Qemu and make sure your path to qemu is to the latest version. Use qemu-system-x86_64
6. Make new JunOS guest:
binary image is the VMDK you just copied
NIC's 2 (however many you want but AT LEAST 2)
Qemu options: -smp 2 -device vmxnet3
USE KVM IF YOUR CPU SUPPORTS IT.
SAVE SAVE SAVE
Save everything, drag a junos device into your GNS3 topology and start it. Open the shell and wait. First boot will take A LONG TIME. You will also see many syslogd messages, ignore these. If you dont use KVM your cpu and mem are going to explode as it boots but it will level out.
To get rid of the syslogd messages just disable logging to the console once its fully booted.
Just a heads up on CPU and Mem usage... I use a Ubuntu VM within ESXi for GNS3 and I was pushing 120% CPU usage with QEMU and 90% CPU usage with dynamips (was running 4 routers at the time) at the same time. This shit will rock your cpu. Make sure you tweak your idle values for your routers before and after booting vsrx.
PW recovery fully works on this as well, if you do not know your firefly password the standard process for pw recovery works fairly quickly.
thanks and enjoy
Hi CHP & everyone,
is this application working fine on GNS3 ( Win 7 64 bit)? because i have checked it on GNS3 ( Win 7 64 bit) , it is not working fine.
can anyone help me to check it.
looking forward to hearing from everyone.