It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: vSRX Firefly on GNS3
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 pm 

Here is a quick and dirty way to get vSRX working in GNS3. The big issue with using Olive is that you lose a lot of functionality by only being able to work with management interfaces. Not being able to configure fe- and ge- interfaces, apply security rules and such is very frustrating when trying to understand policy on srx. this solves that problem.

1. Take OVA image and extract the VMDK and OVF manually using 7zip or winrar.
2. Import extracted OVF into VMware Player - remember the folder that you choose to import your new virtual machine to. Wait until your VM is fully imported.
3. Go to the location of your imported VM and copy the new VMDK to your GNS3 host.
4. Check your qemu version. I have only tested this with QEMU 1.5.0 but I am sure it works with any version later than that.
5. In GNS3 goto Preferences > Qemu and make sure your path to qemu is to the latest version. Use qemu-system-x86_64
6. Make new JunOS guest:
binary image is the VMDK you just copied
RAM 1024
NIC's 2 (however many you want but AT LEAST 2)
NIC e1000
Qemu options: -smp 2 -device vmxnet3
USE KVM IF YOUR CPU SUPPORTS IT.
SAVE SAVE SAVE

Save everything, drag a junos device into your GNS3 topology and start it. Open the shell and wait. First boot will take A LONG TIME. You will also see many syslogd messages, ignore these. If you dont use KVM your cpu and mem are going to explode as it boots but it will level out.

To get rid of the syslogd messages just disable logging to the console once its fully booted.

Just a heads up on CPU and Mem usage... I use a Ubuntu VM within ESXi for GNS3 and I was pushing 120% CPU usage with QEMU and 90% CPU usage with dynamips (was running 4 routers at the time) at the same time. This shit will rock your cpu. Make sure you tweak your idle values for your routers before and after booting vsrx.

PW recovery fully works on this as well, if you do not know your firefly password the standard process for pw recovery works fairly quickly.

thanks and enjoy

Post subject: Re: vSRX Firefly on GNS3
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks a lot. I am gonna use this howto when I actually start redesigning Juniper support in GNS3. Now my focus is on the new GNS3 and Cisco switching support ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:55 pm 

I am running this on a Mac, so I don't even know if this works. with vmware fusion. That startup process, how long does it take? I don't know if mine has just frozen. Also, from within qemu, it seems to work, otherwise, starts up, but when I try to console I get:

telnet 127.0.0.1 3001 ; exit
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
logout

[Process completed]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 am 

I'm quite sure that Qemu 1.6.1 and 1.7.0rc cannot run vmdk v3 images. What qemu version did you use?

$ qemu-img info junos-vsrx-12.1X44-D10.4-domestic-disk1.vmdk qemu-img: 'image' uses a vmdk feature which is not supported by this qemu version: VMDK version 3
qemu-img: Could not open 'junos-vsrx-12.1X44-D10.4-domestic-disk1.vmdk': Could not open 'junos-vsrx-12.1X44-D10.4-domestic-disk1.vmdk': Wrong medium type

All my tutorials can be found here:
http://brezular.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:44 pm 

I was under the impression that the latest MacOSX download had the qemu versions 0.11 or 0.14?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 pm 

I am trying in windows7. I am not able to get the console after starting... Is there anything i need to change on GNS3.

Also I am not able to understand the below statement. Copy the VMDK to which location????
3. Go to the location of your imported VM and copy the new VMDK to your GNS3 host.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 am 

brezular wrote:
I'm quite sure that Qemu 1.6.1 and 1.7.0rc cannot run vmdk v3 images. What qemu version did you use?

$ qemu-img info junos-vsrx-12.1X44-D10.4-domestic-disk1.vmdk qemu-img: 'image' uses a vmdk feature which is not supported by this qemu version: VMDK version 3
qemu-img: Could not open 'junos-vsrx-12.1X44-D10.4-domestic-disk1.vmdk': Could not open 'junos-vsrx-12.1X44-D10.4-domestic-disk1.vmdk': Wrong medium type

Sorry this is so late...

[email protected]:~$ /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 -version
QEMU emulator version 1.5.0, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:13 pm 

brezular wrote:

If it helps, I used VMWare Player 5.0.2 build-1031769 to import the Firefly VMDK and do whatever magic happens when you import the vmdk to vmware player.

I do not know why you must import with vmware player and use the newly created vmdk from the import. you cannot just use the vsrx vmdk. I havent figured out why but I am trying to. vmware player does something to the vmdk that makes qemu happy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:26 am 

If you're using VMware Fusion and vSRX, see this blog for all the details. Much neater that using qemu.

http://binarynature.blogspot.com.au/201 ... usion.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:41 pm 

This does not work in Windows.