It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cannot save VLAN config
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:32 pm 

Hi, I am new to GNS3..I am using Cisco2600 router images in this tool studying for CCNA. I am able to save my configs and open GNS3 later with no problem. However, when I do anything with VLANS it is not saving this part of the config. I did some searching and found you when starting your project you should check the box for "save nvrams including EtherSwitch VLANs and crypto keys" option". So I selected this, but when I close GNS 3 then launch it later, all of my routers/switches can no longer start. The topology loads, but when I try to start a 2600 router/switch I get this error:

"GNS3 management console. Running GNS3 version 0.8.6.
Copyright (c) 2006-2013 GNS3 Project.

=> Cannot start router R1: lost communication with server 127.0.0.1:7200" in the console.

If I don't select to save nvrams option, i can re-launch the project later with no issues. I only get this error when I try to save the NVRAMs part....Is there a setting/config I can do in GNS3 to save my VLAN info so I don't have to keep reconfiguring it when I launch it again? Let me know, thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cannot save VLAN config
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:37 am 

[Edit - I was tired :)]If you start a new project in GNS3 0.8.6 onwards, you should NOT have to check the "Save NVRAMS checkbox" anymore.

But it worries me that you say 2600 - if you have an image for a 3725 or 3600 I would recommend you use those models rather than 2600.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:23 pm 

Hi rednectar, good suggestion! I used a 3725 base image and it is working now. I did still have to check box the save NVRAMS though. I tested without checking and with checking, when I didn't select that it did not save my VLAN info. When I did, it save and this time no more error starting it up like I was getting on the 2600. Thanks for the info! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:12 pm 

Sorry - it was late last night when I wrote that lie about checking hte NVRAMs box - you do have to sorry.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:01 am 

Hi, I got the vlan info to save when I use 3725 version 12.4 (25) now. However, I can't get VLAN 1 to come up at all or ping it using VCPS or Virtual Box. I have ports Fa1/0 - 15 all on default vlan 1 by default. I entered "no ip-routing" under global config, and the also entered no shut under the interfaces trying to bring it up, all with no luck.

When I connect VCPS or Virtual Box to port fa0/0 or fa0/1 (not under VLAN 1) and give that interface an IP address I can ping it just fine from VCPS or Virtual Box.

I am only seeing this issue on the 3725, so something seams to not work correctly when you try to use this as a switch.
When I connect VCPS or Virtual box to my 2600 Int VLAN 1, it comes right up. Only seeing this problem when I try to ping VLAN 1 on 3725.

Let me know if anyone has seen this, thanks.