It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 and a hypervisor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:42 pm 

Is there a way to deploy GNS3 within a vsphere environment to leverage that environment resources instead of my desktop? A configuration where I can run GNS3 on the server and use my desktop to access it? My desktop does not have enough RAM but my server does, plus the more NICs and better processors. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: GNS3 and a hypervisor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:57 pm 

Chapter 7 of the GNS3 Network Simulation Guide has a section on Running remote hypervisors which will cover what you need to know whether you are running the remote machine on VMware or any other system.

Basically, you run dynamips as a stand alone on the remote machine, and configure remote images on your local GNS3 host via Edit | IOS images and hypervisors

Disclaimer - I am the author of the GNS3 Network Simulation Guide

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:54 pm 

Are there any tips or performance enhancements that can be done? like placing the GNS3 application on SSD? etc, etc?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:06 am 

The biggest tip is to find a good Idle-PC value. I have to admit that I've discovered that sometimes an Idle-pc value that works well for 5-6 routers is not good enough if you are trying to run 15-20 routers.

Also, I tend to increase the Memory limit usage per hypervisor (GNS3 Preferences < Dynamips [Hypervisor Manager] tab) - GNS3 will look at how much RAM you have allocated each image and spawn a new copy of dynamips each time you reach this limit. So if you are using say 7200s with 512MiB RAM and this limit is 1024MiB, then a new hypervisor will be spawned for every 2 7200's you add. If you increase this to 2048MiB, then a new hypervisor will be spawned for every 4 routers you add.

As far as running on SSD - most of what GNS3 does runs in RAM - and of course, the more RAM you have, the better! But if there is any RAM swapping going on, then swapping to SSD would be beneficial.

HTH

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:28 am 

Hypervisor has 148GB of RAM so I think I should be good. I am going to have to read up on how to do this this week. Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:53 am 

Probably no point in giving any hypervisor more than 4GiB RAM because it is still a 32 bit processor. Jeremy would be able to advise more about this.