It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Connecting to the internet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:32 am 

Hi Friends,
I tried connecting to the internet from inside GNS3 but i am failing . The topology diagram is attached below.
But I dont understand how to connect to internet as I dont have any real routers in my home. I am using Windows 7 home basic as OS in my laptop.
I can ping upto 2.2.2.2 loopback address in Router R2 from Win XP Virtual PC and also can ping the router int fa0/1 of Router R2 but after that I can't reach the outside internet with ip address 192.168.1.1 .

Last edited by ajax3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Connecting to the internet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:38 pm 

See in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgJgUyja0XU

http://commonerrors.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ernet.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 am 

Hi
Thanks Sir but those are not related to my problem. They don't show how to connect to the internet from inside GNS3 router by doing NAT .
Regards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:50 pm 

Have you even tried to search for this on Google?

That aside... there are some very good guides on freeccnaworkbook.com

Lab 11-1 Configuring Network Address Translation (NAT) One-to-One
Lab 11-2 Configuring a Network Address Translation (NAT) Pool
Lab 11-3 Configuring Port Address Translation (PAT) Many-to-One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:28 pm 

Hi claydon,
please tell me what is the solution? Why i cant ping ? Is it because there is no REAL router connected to my laptop?
FYI, I am using a laptop that is connected to a Wireless access point (not by cables ,my laptop is using a wireless network adapter) and the ip address of my laptop or the host(in case of gns3) has the ip in the subnet 192.168.x.x with default gateway of 192.168.1.1.
So it is this ip which i also mentioned in the beginning of this post ,that needs to be successfully pinged from inside gns3 to prove that i can connect to the internet from within GNS3.

Thanks in advance
With Best Regards

p.s.: I don't think that its a NAT/PAT problem because of which i can't ping the ip address 192.168.1.1 Still,do you all think so that the reason i cant ping or cant connect to the internet is because of incorrect NAT/PAT configuration?

Last edited by ajax3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm 

ajax3 wrote:
i am really short of time to do all that research. actually i am just concerned with the particular problem above and not stray away from that. I was just specifically looking for some tips in the above problem only and not more than that.

I'm afraid your going to need to take your time and research this, to be able to understand what is happening in the network

ajax3 wrote:
IF YOU CAN JUST TELL ME , WHY I CANT PING 192.168.1.1 (WHICH IS PART OF THE REAL NETWORK CONNECTING TO THE ISP OR INTERNET). AS YOU KNOW IN THE ABOVE VIDEO THE LINK OF WHICH I POSTED IN MY FIRST POST THERE IS MENTION OF ONE ROUTER OUTSIDE OF THE GNS3 AND I THINK IT SHOULD BE THE GATEWAY OF 192.168.1.1 WHICH IS TO BE PINGED FROM THE VM GUEST INSIDE THE CLOUD IN GNS3 OR I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PING 192.168.1.1 FROM THE ROUTER R2 INSIDE GNS3 TO PROVE THAT I CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET FROM WITHIN GNS3 ,WHICH I CANT AT PRESENT!
So Sir,please tell me what is the solution? Why i cant ping ? Is it because there is no REAL router connected to my laptop?
FYI, I am using a laptop that is connected to a Wireless access point (not by cables ,my laptop is using a wireless network adapter) and the ip address of my laptop or the host(in case of gns3) has the ip in the subnet 192.168.x.x with default gateway of 192.168.1.1.
So it is this ip which i also mentioned in the beginning of this post ,that needs to be successfully pinged from inside gns3 to prove that i can connect to the internet from within GNS3.

To begin your troubleshooting you need to work at each stage.

After you've created your loopback adapter, bridged it with your wireless interface, added the loopback interface to cloud and connected the cloud to your R2, first check your configuration of R2 as shown in the video

Code:
show ip interface brief
and
Code:
show route
Confirm that R2 has an IP address in your 192.168.1.0/24 network and a default route exists.

As in the video try and ping your real 'router' (the box that connects you home network to the internet) at 192.168.1.1. If this succeeds, you can move to the next in the chain (R1) and repeat the ping.

If you cant ping 192.168.1.1 from R2, the likely cause of the problem will be the firewall (which discards any packets with a MAC address that differs from the adapter)

If you can't ping 192.168.1.1 from R1... Check the routes on R1 - does it know how to get to 192.168.1.1?

All the time you are troubleshooting, break the task into small sections as this will enable you to identify where the fault is (A practice you will use all the time as a Network Engineer). If it helps, visualize the network in your head e.g cars on a road, where each router is a junction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm 

Hi claydon,
Thanks again. But as I said in the first post,I don't have a real router connected to my laptop. My laptop is connected to Wi-Fi ISP through wireless access point cum modem which is supplied by the ISP. I dont know much about wireless routers ,so I dont know if that is a router or not . And as I told you Sir, I am not sure if that is actually a router or a switch or a modem or what as I am new to networking.

Last edited by ajax3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm 

I'm using a wireless access point cum modem /router

Last edited by ajax3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:16 pm 

I have checked the output of the show commands in R2 console and they do have one int in 192.168.1.0 /24 network. Here I attach the pic of output below-
Attachment:
r2 console.png
r2 console.png [ 24.38 KiB | Viewed 4065 times ]

Thanks
Regards

Last edited by ajax3 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 pm 

ajax3 wrote:
Hi claydon,
Sir,Thanks again. But as I said in the first post,I don't have a real router connected to my laptop. My laptop is connected to Wi-Fi ISP through wireless access point cum modem which is supplied by the ISP. I dont know much about wireless routers ,so I dont know if that is a router or not . And as I told you Sir, I am not sure if that is actually a router or a switch or a modem or what as I am new to networking.

Does this router act as the gateway to the internet with ip address of 192.168.1.1 which I have marked with a blue box in the attached image here?

In gist I dont know what will be the ip address that I need to ping (is it the same ip address as shown in the video with ip address of 192.168.1.1 or will it be something different in my case ?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it would be wise to take a step back and learn a bit about networking before trying to configure a Cisco router.

ajax3 wrote:
This is the pic of the wireless access point cum modem /router (I'm not sure what it actually should be called) :-p <snip>
The picture you posted is indeed your Wireless Router. This combines several devices into one box:
  • Switch
  • Router
  • Wireless Access Point

To find out about your network open the Network and Sharing Centre (from Control Panel or the Network icon by the clock) on your computer. Here you will see a list of your Networks...

Find the Wireless Network Connection and click on the Link, this will show you the Status box. Click on the Details button, which will display more information.

Make a note of the following:
  • IPv4 Address
  • IPv4 Subnet Mask
  • IPv4 Default Gateway

Once you have this information you set up R2 (the interface connected to the Loopback Cloud). Use a unique IP address from within the subnet, using the information you found earlier, so for example if:
  • IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.2
  • IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • IPv4 Default Gateway:192.168.1.1
The IP Address of the router can be between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254 (excluding 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 as these are used already).
The subnet mask will be the same

You can also now configure your default route to match the default gateway you noted earlier.

You should now be able to ping you Gateway... and the Internet