It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Linux VM for IOL/IOU support on Windows
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:05 pm 

You've got to build it yourself, but the preseed file automates the build. You'll need a debian install disc and the instructions that revs posted above.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Nice, I am going to try it. How big is the resulting VM?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:18 am 

[email protected]:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 9.4G 665M 8.3G 8% /
udev 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 51M 220K 51M 1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/6b7484d4-b508-46b9-bd49-57444b0e2215 9.4G 665M 8.3G 8% /
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 194M 0 194M 0% /run/shm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 am 

tmilam answered some of the questions. I've corrected the preseed file again, forgot to include the netifaces module. Also the download mirror is now http.debian.net. If you follow the instruction you should have a working Debian jessie (testing) VM with python 3.3 and all the libraries Jeremy requested in the first post, including the symlink to be able to run IOU.

The new url of preseed file from this post to be included on the installer line is
Code:
http://forum.gns3.net/download/file.php?id=2806

Note: After the install "df -h " gives me 611M, on a 2G disk I've set for my VM

Attachments:
preseed_gns3.txt [5.54 KiB]
Downloaded 196 times

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:11 am 
Site Admin

Thanks, I like the preseed file method. I am going to adapt it a bit and it should be ok.

I think for IOU a 32-bit VM (4 GB max) should be enough for the most people. The problem is it can be problematic to run a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host. Thanks to the preseed file, it should be easy for more advanced users to create a 64-bit VM. Well, please let me know if I am wrong.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm 

Quote:
I’ve seen a simulation with 30 devices running in under 2GB of RAM on a dual-core mobile CPU.

http://lamejournal.com/2013/12/28/cisco-csr1000v-vs-fabled-iou/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, that's why I think 32-bit VM is more than enough for normal usage, I've myself pratised CCIE troubleshooting with 30+ IOUs using IOU-WEB in a 2GB VM and that was running great.

Thanks for the link :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:20 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Thanks, I like the preseed file method. I am going to adapt it a bit and it should be ok.

I think for IOU a 32-bit VM (4 GB max) should be enough for the most people. The problem is it can be problematic to run a 64-bit VM on a 32-bit host. Thanks to the preseed file, it should be easy for more advanced users to create a 64-bit VM. Well, please let me know if I am wrong.

Cheers,

No, Jeremy, thank you! I watched the youtube clip yesterday and can not wait for the initial release.

I just tried for the kicks to run my VM in 1GB of memory (IOU-Web, under CentOS, under ESXi 5.1) with 15 routers and it seems to be running fine. It is not the most complex topology, though - just an OSPF lab from the chapter 8 of Routing TCP/IP , but 4GB of RAM should be enough for anyone. However if it is not, the 64-bit version of Debian jessie would require some tinkering to make it work: the Debian is switching to multirach (i386, 32-bit and amd64, 64-bit in one), so there is no longer ia32-libs package in the distribution and IOU requires 32-bit libs. In particular libcrypto, which is a part of an openssl package. The problem is, one of the python packages that Jeremy requested (don't remember which one, I think it was tornado), when it is installed removes 32-bit openssl package, so the order in which one would install the necessary packages becomes important: the 32-bit openssl should be installed last. Another problem with multirach, is that Debian installer is not multiarch aware, as far as I could gather, which means it would require some changes to the preseed file to install all the necessary packages. I believe it should be possible through running in-target commands. All of this should be no problem, however, for the advanced users.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

@revs

Quote:
However if it is not, the 64-bit version of Debian jessie would require some tinkering to make it work: the Debian is switching to multirach (i386, 32-bit and amd64, 64-bit in one), so there is no longer ia32-libs package in the distribution and IOU requires 32-bit libs. In particular libcrypto, which is a part of an openssl package. The problem is, one of the python packages that Jeremy requested (don't remember which one, I think it was tornado), when it is installed removes 32-bit openssl package, so the order in which one would install the necessary packages becomes important: the 32-bit openssl should be installed last. Another problem with multirach, is that Debian installer is not multiarch aware, as far as I could gather, which means it would require some changes to the preseed file to install all the necessary packages. I believe it should be possible through running in-target commands. All of this should be no problem, however, for the advanced users.

Thanks for this info! :)

@tmilam

I think I am going to use your VM for now, I don't have much time to play with the preseed file. However, I would love to know what packages you have removed and other things did to reduce the Debian size, so I can adapt that file later to get the same resulting VM.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 am 

edit: the file has been updated. please see my post on the next page

Last edited by revs on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next