It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 Cloud over VPN
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:34 pm 

Got a nice complicated question here, anyone who can answer wins the internets.

Myself and a couple of study partners on a Monday tend to link our GNS3 labs together over LAN, we are looking to expand that to where at our homes we can operate in a similar fashion.

We seem to have hit a rather tough wall with this one, VPN solutions don't seem to work either because they virtual interface the create won't route our GNS3 traffic (Hamachi) or doesn't create a virtual interface at all. In the latter case the VPN seems to be purely in software (Layer 7) when using third party solutions . I have been testing the built in VPN server included with Windows 7 in an attempt to get this working, unfortunately however the only remote machine I have access to is not not responding after I told it to "share internet" over it's VPN connection (I think it is now trying to access internet over a non existent VPN) and my study partners seem to have vanished.

So any ideas, suggestions or even full blown solutions are very much welcome. And yes we do realise that GNS3 was not intended for use in this way, it's just something fun to do.

Post subject: Re: GNS3 Cloud over VPN
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:57 pm 

snedie wrote:
So any ideas, suggestions or even full blown solutions are very much welcome. And yes we do realise that GNS3 was not intended for use in this way, it's just something fun to do.

Snedie, this sounds like something DMVPN (see notes below) can help with. If you have a VPS somewhere in the cloud, you could install dynamips on it, copy IOS to it, and then configure it as the hub. From there, you all could then VPN directly to each other without the need to use a third party VPN provider (Hamachi) that could introduce the kinds of issues you are currently experiencing.

Let me know how that goes if you consider that route.

NOTE: This solution will only allow your virtual networks to connect to each other - not the hosts systems! If you do set this up, maybe add some topology diagrams to this post. I'll try it myself and post back what I encounter!

Cheers,
ak.

[0]: Notes on DMVPN from Wikipedia (see resources at bottom of page) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Mu ... te_Network
[1]: Good video by Keith Barker on DMVPN configuration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5Vigdv50k

[edited] to fix grammar issues among other additions...

Post subject: Re: GNS3 Cloud over VPN
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:09 am 

Thanks. I'll give this a look when I get home from work tonight.

When we have hosted dynamips remotely on our own servers we have found that each of our dynamips instances is unable to communicate over the servers lan ports as to the point of view of the local gns3 software they are unreachable.

However your solution does sounds leaps and bounds over hamachi and definitely worth a go.