It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: [SOLVED]How to save config file revisions? NVRAM?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:38 am 

Thank you very much, I will test it.
Regards
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
In 0.8.7, if you were to restore a snapshot, it would erase newer revisions. I'd hope the newer snapshot implementation doesn't do this, but would simply add a new modification if the restored snapshot is then committed as a new revision.

I haven't started working on the newer snapshot implementation yet and I would like to hear more about how you would see that working. Would it be a good idea to leverage Git locally?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 pm 

grossmj wrote:
Quote:
In 0.8.7, if you were to restore a snapshot, it would erase newer revisions. I'd hope the newer snapshot implementation doesn't do this, but would simply add a new modification if the restored snapshot is then committed as a new revision.

I haven't started working on the newer snapshot implementation yet and I would like to hear more about how you would see that working. Would it be a good idea to leverage Git locally?

Thanks,

That would certainly be the easiest way to (re)implement it, yes - just include Git, and make a simple GUI in GNS3 (similar to the old one) that would init a repository in the project folder, lists the commits, commit changes and can change the current branch to a particular commit... And nothing more.

And come to think of it, such an approach might ALSO be a very good way to "integrate" GNS3 into other sorts of workflows. For example, one could set up a post-commit hook that would upload the topology to an external server (e.g. a web server, where the topology is made public for... reaons), use diff tools to check differences between revisions, etc.

There is just one problem with Git in particular though (and mind you, I use ONLY Git, and am loving it, so it pains me to say it)... a problem which is not shared with all other VCSs, but still... Git stores the entire snapshots of each file's revisions, not just the differences. This isn't much a problem for text files (especially if only some files change - unchanged files are not saved a second time), and in fact, it helps repositories be more resilient to HDD corruption, program bugs and the like. But when storing binary files, it can become very wasteful, particularly if you're expecting lots of revisions, with each having a large binary file in it, like, I don't know... a Qemu disk image? Will these be stored in a project's directory, or are they in the "images" directory?

If binary disk images are expected to be modified frequently, and are in a project's directory, then a more appropriate VCS would be one that stores change sets. See Wikipedia's comparison of revision control software, and the second table in particular. I'm tempted to offer Mercurial as an alternative, merely because BitBucket - a popular Git hosting service, second to GitHub - supports it, and it's closest to Git in most other aspects.

Ideally, perhaps both methods could be supported by GNS3 (with the default being configurable in the preferences)? I mean, it's not like GNS3 needs to be a full blown Git/Mercurial client... It's just some common functionalities over the local repository.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:17 am 

See post37948.html#p37948

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs