It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: GNS3 components & how they relate to each other-visio needed
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:29 pm 

Hi guys

I am posting this here because I assume that the developers are the most knowledgeable people when it comes to the internal architecture of the new GNS3

Would it be possible that one of you could create a diagram showing us, the mortals, what are the componets used by GNS3 and how they connect to each other?

I do not really understand the role of the new GNS3 component called server
I also can't understand how the GNS virtual image (the .ova file) is used by the GUI component
Also the way Dynamips and Virtual box and IOU connect to each other is worth depicting

thanks in advance for any info
PF

Post subject: Re: GNS3 components & how they relate to each other-visio ne
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I understand you may be lost, unfortunately we are so busy designing and coding than we have almost no time for documenting or creating videos. We are very aware that we need better docs and other tutorials, this is why we are hiring a couple of technical writers to solve this issue. So hopefully we can have a rock solid official documentation in a few months for the final 1.0.

What I have for you now is this video showing the basic usage of alpha1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXfl4Ogn854

Quote:
I do not really understand the role of the new GNS3 component called server

GNS3 is follows a client-server architecture, the client is the GUI and the server the back-end which manages all the emulators like Dynamips, IOU, KVM etc.

Quote:
I also can't understand how the GNS virtual image (the .ova file) is used by the GUI component

The .ova is only if you are on Windows and you want to use IOU images which can only run on Linux. The VM comes with a stripped down Linux Debian with GNS3 server installed.

Quote:
Also the way Dynamips and Virtual box and IOU connect to each other is worth depicting

You should be able to get this answer in the video.

Let me know if you have more questions.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 am 

Thanks a lot. The above answer puts some light on it :-)
I will watch the videos.
As I note I am a strong believer that an Image is worth 1000 words ...it will actually save you time when dealing with documentation

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:56 am 

Are you aware of any good instructions showing how to run IOU on Unix (Ubuntu 14.04 in my case)

At a second look I don't see why one wouldn't run the OVA you mentioned in a virtual box machine instead of running extra miles to make IOU run nativelly
thanks
PF

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Are you aware of any good instructions showing how to run IOU on Unix (Ubuntu 14.04 in my case)

Is it 64-bit?

Quote:
At a second look I don't see why one wouldn't run the OVA you mentioned in a virtual box machine instead of running extra miles to make IOU run nativelly

Totally, if you don't want to spend time to fix the libcrypto problem + running 32 bit IOUs on a non 32-bit compatible 64-bit Linux.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 am 

grossmj wrote:
Quote:

Is it 64-bit?

Quote:

Totally, if you don't want to spend time to fix the libcrypto problem + running 32 bit IOUs on a non 32-bit compatible 64-bit Linux.

I finally fixed the x64 libcrypt problem using a post in this forum. thanks a lot

May I understand that we can not sniff traffic between two IOU machines?
That was the main reason for my efforts :( otherwise for lab purposes I was happy with IOU-WEB

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
May I understand that we can not sniff traffic between two IOU machines?

Not yet, this is being developed.

Quote:
That was the main reason for my efforts :( otherwise for lab purposes I was happy with IOU-WEB

IOU-WEB is a very nice tool but there are few limitations, mostly: you cannot easily create new topologies, you cannot dynamically connect/disconnected nodes or transparently connect to non-IOU nodes. For static labs, like a CCIE topology, this is perfect though.