It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A simple HOWTO Solution to crashing Host Due to Cpu Hog
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 am 

Havnt seen this solution either here or on sadikov.
Just a preview for the ones who dont know what Im talking about.
GNS3 has a habbit of having dynampis hogging my cpu(meaning spiking my cpu usage with the dynamips process) which have caused me to reboot my pc.
Googled around and found the solution. Which is to load Each Router and then Right click and idle-pc it soo it would set a new value for it on Proccessor IRQ and thus will not hog my cpu and make me use the reboot (physical) button.
Doing soo is abit annoying and doesnt always work , and though i've not been using GNS for that long i can say that as for now im still clueless about the idle pc im supposed tochoose for my pc not to go into Coma while im using GNS.

###################The Solution##############
Well , rather simple .. Dont know if it justifies all the pound symbols.

Just go into your task manager , locate the dynampis process , right click it and lower its priority to below normal.

True, it will not stop it from hogging your cpu, but it will make your Cpu more resistent to repeated requests from that process , while still maintaining its functionality.

Would love to have some verbose comments on whether that solution worked for you or not.

Great Weekend !

Roy :)

Post subject: Re: A simple HOWTO Solution to crashing Host Due to Cpu Hog
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm 
Hi all,

New to GNS3, but wanted to share something which i found useful.

This is specific to users who are using GNS3 on the Linux platform and is related to the issue being discussed.

I have been facing the same issue of CPU Hog by GNS3 which results in the computer rebooting itself, and recently found a work around, but have not tested it much.

The work around is to use "cpulimit" and limit GNS3 to low value for example 60%. I have tested this in a simple lab of four routers, running just eigrp between them for testing purposes and seems to be working fine at the moment, but still not sure whether this will work under labs with a greater number of routers and running more complex protocols.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Zeus09