It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MAC OS x 10.8 For GNS3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:17 am 

Hi,

i saw that only 10.6/10.7 version is available on site however i want to know before i will go to by MAC (which all latest MBP come with 10.8) in next month.

Please anyone tell me MAC OS X 10.8 is support for GNS3 or not? if yes than if anybody has any process to follow to make it work on MAC before i will go with this investment.

I really appreciate for your kind reply or any suggestion.

thanks you very much in advance your understanding.

Regards,
Ank

Post subject: Re: MAC OS x 10.8 For GNS3
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 am 

I plan to try to do so in the next few days - hopefully! I've just been through the Windows 8 experience! and a Linux install. OSX 10.8.2 is next Oh - and don't worry about investing in a Mac - if all else fails it will run sweetly in a Virtual Machine (which is how I run my WIn8 and various flavours of Linux)

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 pm 

Thanks for your replied....and waiting from you to see how's goes with osx 10.8.
I will run CCIE labs on MBP so please tell me which is acceptable on 10.8 or not.
Important : any advice regarding MBP specification likes RAM/processor requirement so I can run my CCIE topology without any issue.

These are help me decide my budget to buy MBP.

Once again thanks for your replied.

Ank

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 pm 

GNS3 works with 10.8. I use 10.8 exclusively and have not experienced any issues. Just download the Lion version for GNS3.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:43 pm 

Hi jyaa,

u said it's working fine with "GNS3 0.8.3.1" on OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) so i have few question hope you can answer it for me.

1. If i ran 12 to 13 routers on GNS3 (For My CCIE Labs) and it will not affect the performance of CPU????. (i know i will make sure all abt to set IDEAL Value and etc.).

2. if you have any steps which you followed while you installed GNS3, can you share which me plz.

3. As i mention on last post, if you suggest me MBP specification that will be great for me bcoz i am totally new to MAC osx.

hope you understand before i will go with my investment with MBP.

Thanks,
Ank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 am 

12-13 routers WILL load your CPU. Be fair! But I have run 15 x 3725 routers (some with NM-16ESW loaded) while still being able to use the PC for other things.

My spec is:
Intel core2 duo 2.8GHz (2009 vintage)
8 GB Ram
500 GB HDD

New Macs have Quad core I7s, so should outperform my old beast

If you have 13 routers - probably with 256MB RAM each, then you will need 3-4GB just for the routers

So buy a MBP with at least 8GB RAM

My tips in order of importance of how to spend your money:
1. Put as much RAM in as you can afford
2. Buy the largest HDD that will fit. I have a lot of trouble keeping all the stuff I want (mostly Virtual Machines) on my 500GB HDD. You can now opt up to 1TB on the MBP for about $100
3. But if speed is more important than capacity, and CO$T is not problem - get the biggest SSD drive you can
4. Screen size is a very personal thing, but I do sometimes see people struggling to fit what they need on a 13" screen - so I'f recommend 15". I'm disappointed they dropped the 17". But in terms of how important it is in your money distribution, it is more important than processor speed.
5. Processor speed upgrades are overpriced, but if you have the money...
6. Retina display does NOTHING to improve performance or enhance GNS3. And I suspect it must lessen battery life But it does sure look cool!

These ar MY opinions. Others may order the list differently.

Finally, I remember an Old Wise Saying: "You can never have too much RAM, HDD space or money"

CW

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:47 am 

Thanks all for your opinion for choosing me right MBP and last concern was left regarding MAC OSX.

-- GNS3 run excellent on Mac osx 10.8 ( mountain lion) without any issue???? Bcoz if I will buy MBP that will pre installed osx 10.8 and If this platform having an issue than I have to have downgrade to 10.7 and I really don't want any more trouble with MBP.

hope above is my last Q for GNS3 and than looking for good deal on MBP....!!!! :)

Ank

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:11 pm 

just for curiousity sake... what is MBP?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
just for curiousity sake... what is MBP?

I'll go with MacBook Pro ;)