It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Windows Client -> Ubuntu Server -- Fails through SSH tunnel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:58 am 

Several hours of troubleshooting has brought me to here. Let me know what you think :)

Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

- GNS3 running on my windows laptop connecting to an Ubuntu server running dynamips back at home VIA an SSH tunnel

Here's what works:

- Windows GNS3 client on laptop connecting directly to dynamips on ubuntu with the appropriate port-forwarding implemented (no ssh)
- Ubuntu GNS3 client (VM hosted on my windows laptop) connecting directly to dynamips on ubuntu with the appropriate port-forwarding implemented (no ssh)

---With SSH tunnel---

Ubuntu GNS3 client (VM hosted on my windows laptop) -- WORKS
Window GNS3 client on windows laptop -- DOES NOT WORK

Here is the error on the windows side:
"Can't connect to the external hypervisor 127.0.0.1:7201"
*** Warning: Could not set working directory to c:\users\dhodun\appdata\local\temp\GNS3_fzkbug\working on server 127.0.0.1:7201

Now, the tunnel is up and running, I can telnet to the appropriate port just fine. I've done a local raw packet capture and see the following when I drag out the first Router onto the topology and it initializes the hypervisor connection.

hypervisor version
100-0.2.8-RC2-amd64

hypervisor reset
100-OK

hypervisor working_dir "c:\users\dhodun\appdata\local\temp\GNS3_fzkbug\"
204-chdir: No such file or directory

Now, I have no trouble using the Ubuntu VM with an SSH tunnel configured on that VM. This leads me to believe that GNS3, when seeing it's connecting to a local hypervisor, overrides whatever I've configured for that hypervisor and uses a local temporary directory. At first I thought it was overriding the "/tmp" setting because it knew this wouldn't work on Windows, but when I configure a valid windows path, it still overrides it.

Any way to work around this or configure it differently?

Post subject: Re: Windows Client -> Ubuntu Server -- Fails through SSH tun
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:17 am 

I ended up trying "localhost" and "127.0.0.1" as external hypervisors for the windows client. Neither worked and both overrode whatever I typed in for "working directory" even though the debug output indicated GNS3 was connecting to an "external" hypervisor and did not try to start dynamips locally.

I did confirm that the Linux client was not replacing "/tmp" with a default of "/tmp"; I typed in "/tmp/tmp" and it would ended up causing the same error.

The ultimate fix on the windows side: the HOST file. I created an entry for 127.0.0.1 -> "localhost-gns3" and that did the trick. Would this be considered a bug? Especially since the windows and linux behaviors are different.