It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Turn off vlan stripping on Realtek PCIe GBE Controller
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 pm 

[Moved from HOWTO section topic2604.html. Please read topic1829.html]
http://ask.wireshark.org/questions/5996 ... tag-packet

I am trying to turn off vlan stripping on my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, although not for Wireshark. I am working on INE labs and using the cloud connector to bridge from my GNS3 routers to my physical switches. I followed instructions on the above link and set the "Priority & VLAN disabled" option on the NIC driver. Was monitoring the registry key for the device and noticed the registry DWORD "*PriorityVLANTag=0" was created upon configuring this option, similar to the Marvell Yukon NIC. However, I am still unable to PING from my GNS3 virtual router with a subinterface dot1q tag to the SVI of the physical switch with matching VLAN #. Even tried setting the SkDisableVlanStrip value to 1 but to no avail.

One thing I did notice, while PING fails from both directions, the physical switch is able to complete ARP resolution and MAC of virtual router populates the Switch's MAC Add table, but NOT vice versa.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Turn off vlan stripping on Realtek PCIe GBE Controller
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:11 am 

Tajikidc wrote:
One thing I did notice, while PING fails from both directions, the physical switch is able to complete ARP resolution and MAC of virtual router populates the Switch's MAC Add table, but NOT vice versa.

See http://forum.gns3.net/topic7653.html

I've been trying to solve this in Windows 8. Vlan tags are present on the outbound packets but the inbound ones have the tags stripped.

Post subject: Re: Turn off vlan stripping on Realtek PCIe GBE Controller
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:47 pm 

I finally got my Realtek PCIe GBE Controller to do router on a stick with Windows 8.1 / Server 2012 R2!

Here's how:

1. I updated my drivers to the latest: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... Down=false

2. Once installed, went to my regedit in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\00nn
Where nn is the physical instance of the network port where you want to capture the VLAN tags.

3. Added / Edited the following DWORDS:

MonitorModeEnabled - 1
MonitorMode - 1
*PriorityVLANTag - 0
SkDisableVlanStrip - 1

4. Restarted my machine, and voila! Working router on a switch! No need to use Linux!