It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: ASA 8.42 gives: Dynamips error Connection lost
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 pm 

I am running GNS3 0.8.2 on windows XP sp 3 and everything thing runs fine. I can use the ASAs with asa802-k8.initrd.gz and asa802-k8.kernel with out any issue. I have now added the 8.42 profile in Qemu: asa842-initrd.gz and asa842-vmlinuz with the memory set at 1024 and the following Qemu options: -m 1024 -icount auto -hdachs 980,16,32, and the following kernel cmd line : -append ide_generic.probe_mask=0x01 ide_core.chs=0.0:980,16,32 auto nousb console=ttyS0,9600 bigphysarea=65536

When I select and drag the ASA using the 802 profile evrything runs fine, but when I use the 8.42 ASA I get the error messege
Dynamips error: Communication lost.

I followed the 8.42 upgrade install instructions to the letter. I went so far as to a fresh install on a Windows 7 machine and I get the same error. And the ASA 8.02 works fine only the ASA 8.42 crashes.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Post subject: Re: ASA 8.42 gives: Dynamips error Connection lost
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:52 am 

i am facing the same issue please any one has the answer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:00 pm 

All you need to do it's uninstalled the GNS3 install it on it's own folder like c:\GNS3 that's what I did it's working next steep make sure for firewall allowed GNS3 Dynamips and Qemu to run

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 pm 

I tried uninstalling gns3. I still get the connection lost error. any more suggestions on what to try.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 pm 

think the problem is asa842-vmlinuz file. try setting the file type as kernel (rename to asa842-vmlinuz.kernel) and adding the ASA to GNS.
I faced the same problem and this sort it out and ASA 8.4.2 is working fine now.

hope this help anyone with the same issue and all the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:07 pm 

Hello,

I had asa842 on gns0.8.3 already running on win7.
Than i had some trouble getting my old virtual box installation cooperating with gns3, so i decided to change back to gns 0.8.2 and the s... begann to rise.

After some Hours of frustless rebooting, reinstalling gns, virtualbox over and over again. I could not get the asa get the work again.
Nether on gns0.8.2 nor 0.8.3.
I used the exact same setting. i always got the same error when dragging the asa into the topology map:Dynamips error Connection lost.

Interresting was: When i loaded my old Projects/Topology where the asa842 was already on the Map, it WORKS !
Strange....

I tried to clear my windows tempfolder, wihtout success.... Damn

Then uninstalled gns completly and created a new "Windows7 User", Installed the current virtualbox version, than gns0.8.3, configured the asa like i did it always before and BANG ! It WORKED! ! ! !

There must be some tempfiles in My last windows-useraccount which caused this error....
I dont like windows... Unfortunately, before I Spend 2 Weeks trying to get the asa work under Linux-mint/gns....

Hope this helps somebody.

Yehaw !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 am 

@cotex

One thing to remember is that ASA (and all Qemu devices) save their temporary files in the Working directory (which is unfortunately configured as the dynamips working directory - must get someone to change that one day).

If you start a new project, or Save Project As... it is very important that you click the [x] Save nvrams and virtual hard disks option, otherwise your new devices will use the default working directory ... and if there are file left there from a previous experiment, then... who knows what will happen!

BTW - we try to keep the tone family oriented, so I edited some of your more colourful expressions!!

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 pm 

you have to just go to....Dynamips.....and change the Base Console port.....to another Like 2005 or anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:20 am 

I also found myself with the same issue & attempted the numerous fixes people have posted over time - to no avail.
In a last ditch effort I took a look at "gns3.ini" & discovered for whatever reason, the ASA kernel command line had "\n" appended.
Took a chance & removed it & error disappeared.

5\kernel_cmdline="-append ide_generic.probe_mask=0x01 ide_core.chs=0.0:980,16,32 auto nousb console=ttyS0,9600 bigphysarea=65536\n"

Remember to close GNS3 before modifying the ini file or GNS3 will overwrite your changes. I encountered this problem on 3 different machines - all win7.
It seems to resolve issues with both 802 & 842

Hope it helps someone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:59 am 

Before installing ASA, install 1 or more than one IOS ASA images in 'IOS Images and Hypervisors"in Edit menu in GNS3 Preferences < Qemu | [ASA] Tab and you will be all set. Have fun !!!!!

Edits by RedNectar