GNS3
http://forum.gns3.net/

GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP
http://forum.gns3.net/topic6139.html
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ToddBooth [ Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:33 pm ]
Post subject:  GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP

Hello,

Cisco has now released Cisco Packet Tracer Version 6.0. One of the features is that these program instances can communicate with each other, over the Internet. The protocol used is PTMP and is documented here:
http://bauhaus.ece.curtin.edu.au/~iain/ ... t/PTMP.pdf

It would be awesome, if GNS3 supported PTMP. If so, we could create a network with Cisco Packet Tracer, another network with GNS3 and connect them together.

Regards, Todd Booth

Author:  crackerjoe69 [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP

Does version 6 support any additional features that 5.3 didn't? Other than PTMP?

This sounds like it could be cool if it did, otherwise the features of packet tracer were pretty limited in the past. For what it did do it seemed to do it reasonably well though, it was certainly light weight.

Author:  ToddBooth [ Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP

Yes, here are the new features, of the new Cisco Packet Tracer 6.0 (officially released very recently, build 45):

Packet Tracer now models these new or improved features: HSRP for IPv4 and IPv6, IPv6 DHCP, IPv6 tunnel over IPv4, IPv6 DHCP binding, Send command for routers, ACL sequence numbers.
• IOS 15
• HWIC-2T and HWIC-8A modules
• CAB-HD8-ASYNC cable
• IPv6 in IP Configuration under Desktop
• Terminal server for routers
• PC Firewall for IPv4 and IPv6
• Servers with 2 NICs
• Circling tool
• Improvements to Activity Wizard and Variable Manager

New Devices, Routers
• Cisco 1941
• Cisco 2901
• Cisco 2911

I'm a teacher, at a University. With GNS3 PTMP support, I could do the following:

Have 50 students run Cisco Packet Tracer 6, for 75% of the CCNA type tasks. Connect their CPT to GNS3 via PTMP to do the other 25% of the tasks (which CPT can't do).

Also, if GNS3 supported PTMP, we could also use PTMP to connect GNS3 to GNS3. I know we can use clouds + router configuration. However, this CPT PTMP configuration is easier to use in many situations.

Thanks for considering and gr8 work, on an awesome product!!!

Todd Booth

Author:  grossmj [ Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP

Indeed, very interesting. I'll study to possibility to support this protocol in the future.

Thanks,

Author:  hamleft [ Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP

Nothing at all? Do you need help to do this?

Author:  grossmj [ Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: GNS3 Support Request, for Cisco PTMP

Quote:
Nothing at all? Do you need help to do this?


Well this is currently not a priority, however if you want to help you can write a proof of concept in the form of a Python script that communicate with Packet Tracer. See what info you can get and send. This will help a lot when I decide to implement it.

Thanks,

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/