It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interested in advice on career path - learning path
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 pm 

Hey All -

I currently have 2 University degrees, including an MBA. But no tech certifications at all. I worked my way through college in the IT Hardware field. PC, Printer, and server repairs. I currently perform server installs and very entry level CISCO configs (port description and VLAN changes is about as much as I do).

I have discovered that not only am I interested in the network stuff, but it could easily give my career the longevity that I am seeking.

The guidance I am seeking is this - I have little to no network experience/knowledge. I want to maximize my future value with CISCO certs. I am unsure what cert(s) would be best for me to start out with, and which to eventually achieve. I understand networking/switching basics, but am not well versed in them.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice, experiences shared, etc. are all very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Interested in advice on career path - learning path
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:04 pm 

I recently finished my BA in MGMT myself, but through school I've been working in the, initially, layer 1 networking world, and now have moved into more Layer 2-3, and am in a regional network operations center that also does a lot of heavy provisioning of TDM and Metro-Ethernet circuits.

In our environment, you'd have a pretty good shot at a tier II position with a CCNA. With a CCNA and a Junos as a second language cert, you'd be a shoe-in.

That's just my experience.

I'll be finishing up my CCNP this year and will then have to move on from an Analyst to a Commercial Engineer position to continue to be paid appropriately for my certification level. In my company, the engineering position is the first position in which a 4 year degree is listed in the Job requirements. YMMV.