It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help with GNS3 and VirtualBox
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:16 am 

Hello All,

I am a brand-spankin'-new user to GNS3 and VirtualBox and I'm having trouble viewing my Virtualbox VMs in GNS3. I installed GNS3, then Virtualbox. Then I create my VM (Win 7) and try to configure it in GNS3. So far I've had no luck. My Dynamips test is successful, but when I try to add a virtual host to my topology, I get an error message saying "Virtual Box not installed."

What am I missing?

Post subject: Re: Help with GNS3 and VirtualBox
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am 

*EDIT*

Got the directions slightly off. I linked to a pictoral walkthrough a few posts below. Sorry for any confusion!

Last edited by DirkGently on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:38 pm 

Thank you very much! I will give this a try later on this evening.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:02 am 

Okay....

So I tried the steps recommended and had no luck. From the research I've done, I may have some compatibility issues with the version of GNS3 and Virtual Box I'm using. I'm using GNS3 0.8.3 and Virtual Box 4.3.12. I can't tell you how many versions of each I've tried. All I can say is that at the moment, I can't get GNS3 to recognize the VM's in virtual box. My next step is to try the new beta version of GNS3.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 pm 

BlocNation99 wrote:
Okay....

So I tried the steps recommended and had no luck. From the research I've done, I may have some compatibility issues with the version of GNS3 and Virtual Box I'm using. I'm using GNS3 0.8.3 and Virtual Box 4.3.12. I can't tell you how many versions of each I've tried. All I can say is that at the moment, I can't get GNS3 to recognize the VM's in virtual box. My next step is to try the new beta version of GNS3.

Those are the exact same versions I'm using.

*EDIT*

Use the guide i posted below. I blasted out all my settings and configs, so I can walk you or anyone else through it from scratch.

Last edited by DirkGently on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:50 am 

I'm back, and here we go:

Here's a blank topology.

Click 'edit', then 'preferences'.

This options up a dialog box

Click 'Virtualbox', which takes you to the general settings tab

Note that I've added extra registered external vboxwrappers. I ran into issues using only one.

Make sure to click 'test' before proceeding

Click on the Virtualbox Guest tab next (I cleared mine, so I could show you how to populate it)

Click "refresh vm list", and the VMs you already installed should appear in the dropdown box.

Select a VM, being sure to name it, or it'll throw an error. Then click "save" to add it to the list

Notice in mine that I set four VMs. You can only use 1 VM of each type, so if you need 2 XP machines, you have to clone the first XP VM.

To add a VBOX guest to a topology, expand the devices tab on the left, and click 'n drag the "Virtualbox guest" icon, and drop it. When you drop it, you'll be presented with a dropdown list like this.

In this screen cap, I added two guest (ended up adding a third later)

Notice how the guests are turned off, according to the Oracle Vbox manager. Click the LARGE green start button on the GNS3 tool bar, and it will start all the guests.
You could also right-click each one, and start them individually.

This is with all three VMs running within GNS3 (Haiku, Plan 9, and 2008R2). I failed to take a screen cap as they were loading.

Now, the real problem is going to be networking them, so they can talk to each other, and any cisco routers or swouters. I've gotten UDP Tunneling to sorta work, but host-only adapter, internalnetwork, and bridged still elude me.

Hope this helps! :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:55 pm 

Try in this way:

1) Uninstall both GNS3 and Virtual Box
2) Install Virtual Box first, makes VM ready
3) Install fresh GNS3 - Then while configuring the Virtual Box, it can recognize and list you the VMs.

This is what I did when I had problem with GNS3 and Virtual Box and it worked.

Thanks,
Ashwin