It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FEATURE REQUEST: Remote access to console
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:56 am 

If I have a device (only tested with IOU devices so far) that has the console port set to "X", then I should be able to allow a remote host to telnet to port "X" to get to the console.

As it is now (GNS3v1b4dev1), GNS3 sets up the console ports to listen only on 127.0.0.1:
Code:
~ $ netstat -anl | egrep  ':400.|Address'
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State     
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:4001          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:4002          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN     
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:4003          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN   

However, there needs to be a setting that allows me to tell GNS3 that I'd like it to accept connections to any valid address thank you (so I can run GNS3 on Linux but still access the consoles from iTerm running on my Mac, or so I can access the console of a student that is having difficulty in a classroom situation, or... [add an of hundreds of reasons here])

I'd like to see a simple GLOBAL setting under console settings for Telnet connections, something like this:
Attachment:
ConsolePref.png
ConsolePref.png [ 113.8 KiB | Viewed 2225 times ]

Now I could understand that a programmer would say that "That's not the right place to have that setting - it should be under Preferences |<Dynamips | [Server Settings] and Preferences |<IOS on Unix | [Server Settings] and Preferences |<VPCS | [Server Settings]" but I'm looking at it as how to make it as painless as possible for the user - not to make them configure it in at least three places!

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs

Post subject: Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Remote access to console
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 am 

What about the "GNS3 server" section?

I mean, if you configure the host binding there to be your internet address (as opposed to 127.0.0.1), I for one would expect this to mean that GNS3 will accept remote connections to that IP.

Is this not already the case?

Post subject: Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Remote access to console
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:22 am 

@boen_robot
Quote:
What about the "GNS3 server" section?

The GNS3 Server section is about where the server runs. If I change this port then I expose the server to being accessed from another device (on port 8000). Not that I think that that is a big deal, but it is a different concept. And in fact if I do change this interface, I can telnet to the selected interface to access the consoles. But this creates another problem: The changed interfaces address appears in my saved configs, making them harder to distribute:
Code:
        "servers": [
            {
                "host": "192.168.63.219",
                "id": 2,
                "local": true,
                "port": 8000
            }
        ]
    },
    "type": "topology",
    "version": "1.0beta4.dev1"

However, from a programmer's point of view, this indeed may be a logical place to put the option if we think about how it might be implemented. We could even make it really nerdy and describe the option as
[x] Bind all console sessions to 0.0.0.0 rather than host address

...but I think that a user looking for an option to allow external access to the device consoles is going to look at Preferences |<General |>[Console applications] tab first.

However, I could be persuaded I guess to move the option I suggested:
[x] Allow console connections to any local IP address
to the Preferences |<GNS3 Server |>[Local Server] tab rather than the Preferences |<General |>[Console applications] tab.

GNS3 WorkBench-a VMware image of Ubuntu with GNS3 and VPCS installed and a collection of exercises/labs